Sign in to follow this  
pete_griff

Pete Griff's 'Rado R32 - (Not quite!) Alive at last! :D

Heres a 12v port for reference.

Can you take a photo of the sump please. Are you going to run an oil temp gauge?

i'm popping out to the car in a little bit, so i will try and remember to get a photo of the sump then...

as for oil temp - my MFA will be wired up on the dash, the only thing that won't work is the mpg; so i'll get my oil temp off that. i always drive with the oil temp up on the display anyway.

some more bits arrived today as well :D ...

If your running the Corrado original clocks it wont have oil temp. The 4motion and I believe the R32 doesnt have an oil temp fuction on the MFA. From what I was told it is monitored but there is no display hence why I asked.

If your running the Corrado original clocks it wont have oil temp. The 4motion and I believe the R32 doesnt have an oil temp fuction on the MFA. From what I was told it is monitored but there is no display hence why I asked.

hmm didn't know that, cheers. i'll have to ask the bloke who's doing the wiring for me - not sure in all honesty, just have to wait and see what happens i guess...

i have an oil pressure gauge and voltmeter in the bottom of the centre console, i might sort an oil temp gauge if the one on the mfa doesn't work - will have to wait and see!

apologies, i didn't get round there today after all so couldn't take any pics - went to pick up my gearbox after meeting a guy to buy an oil cooler and i've only just got back now...

i should definitely be going round there tomorrow, so i'll get some pics for you then :D

oh the dreaded heater matrix/bowded cable job, its gotta be the worst job you can do on a corrado?? well apart from an engine conversion :lol:

oh the dreaded heater matrix/bowded cable job, its gotta be the worst job you can do on a corrado?? well apart from an engine conversion :lol:

tell me about it - thank goodness it doesn't need to be done often!

got my gearbox back today - complete with quaife fitted :norty:

all new bearings etc - very happy. hopefully get it attached to the engine tomorrow.

pete from dubpower is coming down on sunday to have a look at making this manifold up for me, not going to attempt to refurb the cross member/rad support until he has done that - don't want any issues with not being able to get it back on as i couldn't get the new bushes to fit!

once it's all back in though, just got to plumb it up, fit my new kw's when they arrive, then i'm good to go! - off down to bristol to see the vag-doctor and drive it back with a very large grin on my face! :grin:

so jealous :D wish i'd done this conversion now. i know who im gona be buggin if i ever decide to go this route. its all looking good so far pete :salute:

what are the main issues with the r32 conversion apart from the wiring? is it pretty much a drop in?

was the work done on your gearbox expensive? im considering sending mine off but have no idea on prices.

keep up the good photo diary matey

i'm giving this some more thought now too. remember theres always the gearbox brakes and suspension you can do first. pete loving this thread - keep the pics coming!

so jealous :D wish i'd done this conversion now. i know who im gona be buggin if i ever decide to go this route. its all looking good so far pete :salute:

what are the main issues with the r32 conversion apart from the wiring? is it pretty much a drop in?

was the work done on your gearbox expensive? im considering sending mine off but have no idea on prices.

keep up the good photo diary matey

cheers for your comments my friend - always appreciated :)

aside from the wiring buddy, the only real snag you will have is the exhaust manifold. that also depends what setup you want to run though. if you are keeping the single cat setup as with the original VR engine, then you can buy the manifolds off the shelf from dubpower, so no great shakes. hopefully in future you will be able to buy the setup for twin cats off the shelf if mine is successful - we'll have to wait and see i guess. other than that though, it's all more or less straight forward (he says touching some wood!) - will sit straight in on the original mounts etc - piece of cake really :D

getting a little frustrated as i keep on getting dragged away during the day, so i'm not getting as much time to go and work on the car as i would like. it's getting there slowly though.

here are a few more pics of progress from today. got the box on the engine now, all ready to go in.

still need to get hold of a few bits before it can be finished, but i'm chasing those up asap. found out today that i need a new threaded cap to hold my mocal sandwich plate on, as the one i bought it with off ebay is not the right one - wasn't sure if that would be the case until trying it anyway.

really hoping that when Pete arrives tomorrow i will have a working solution by the end of the day - really eager to get the whole thing done asap while i am still off work.

still waiting for my kw's and assorted bits to come through the door as well which is a bit annoying. hopefully getting there now though. absolutely loving the gruvenparts loveliness :D - they really are such good solutions to what are otherwise badly engineered parts (well for vw anyway!)

enjoy all you pic whores!

What are the 2 parts in the upper picture above Pete?

I'm hoping to look into this more fully once I get back from my time in the Arabian beach!

What are the 2 parts in the upper picture above Pete?

I'm hoping to look into this more fully once I get back from my time in the Arabian beach!

if you're on about the bottom most pic of those most recent ones with the two right angle parts next to the 13mm ratchet spanner... the one on the right is the original pastic part that one of the gearshift cables mounts onto on the gearbox. these are known to be weak and break over time - they are only plastic after all.

the one on the left is the gruvenparts billet replacement :)

howdy all, another quick update.

got the pieces i require to sort my exhaust manifold now (will get some pics up in the next couple of days), so i'm pleased about that. not going to get them welded up properly until i have got hold of the front engine mount i need and de-rusted my cross-member, which i should hopefully be doing tomorrow.

trial fitted the lump with gearbox attached and it sat in there superb - very happy :D

got a few more bits through the post today which i shall hopefully start fitting tomorrow - very pleased to see these finally arrive. just waiting on my bonrath front mounts now, then i can get the fronts fitted too...

bits are: kw v3's, upper and lower front strut braces and neuspeed power pullies for a mk4 golf r32, which are the correct ones to fit on my setup :)

Looking good pete, wish i'd got the guts to do this kinda thing to mine! must be really satisfying seeeing all these bits going on by yourself and knowing they've all been fitted correctly.

Nice shockers Pete!! Makes my old billies look positively dull! Where do you adjust them? How's the actual conversion coming along? Still need to get you those plumbing diagrams chap, I haven't forgotten I've just not seen my car for ages :-(

more shiny bits eh Pete, is there gonna be anything standard when you have finished :lol:

haha, cheers my friend - maybe the shell? i'm keeping it looking as standard as possible from the outside (save the seats i guess...) - you'll only know it's not standard once it has flown past you! :grin:

Looking good pete, wish i'd got the guts to do this kinda thing to mine! must be really satisfying seeeing all these bits going on by yourself and knowing they've all been fitted correctly.

cheers kip, it's honestly really not that hard once you get going - just taking the plunge i guess!

it's a lovely process watching the parts come through the door then onto the car - makes it all very worthwhile - i just need to try and get the girlfriend to understand now! :lol:

awesome updates! Keep forgetting you're the same guy who posts in mine! :nuts:

love the new parts, i think people forget about things like strut braces etc, your handling will be pin sharp with all those bits on! :salute:

awesome updates! Keep forgetting you're the same guy who posts in mine! :nuts:

love the new parts, i think people forget about things like strut braces etc, your handling will be pin sharp with all those bits on! :salute:

haha, no worries!

i'm hoping for the handling to be really pin sharp as you say...

i have driven far too many 205's and my mate's integra too many times for me to ignore it - turn in has got to be razor sharp or i'm not happy!

i'll get a list of my mods up after finishing the r32 install, but a v quick "handling related" list just for now - it's had new TT/R32 bushes on the front, powerflex on the rear, new OEM bushes elsewhere (steering rack, arb), recon of my old steering rack/pump (nothing wrong with the old one, but newer is better!), new track rods, track rod ends, drop links, ball joints, bearings all round, cv joints, top mounts all round, coilovers, eibach rear ARB, quaife, strut braces etc etc - so it bloody well better handle well after all this or i won't be happy! :lol:

:lol: wow yeah! Do you have shares in VAG? ;) seriously though, you'll have peace of mind for a good while now on the mechanical front.

*touches wood*

Do you have shares in VAG? ;)

no; but i recon the bloke who sits on my local vw parts desk is pretty sick of the sight of me now! :lol:

seriously though, you'll have peace of mind for a good while now on the mechanical front.

*touches wood*

that was the idea i was going with - really don't want to have to touch the car for a good few years after doing all of this.

*touches lots of wood!*