Sign in to follow this  
Alexander

Nuts. Well, screws actually - can't remove indicator

Just to top off a legendary day a week into my Corrado ownership - indicator bulb has gone on the front passenger side. No problem, thinks I - got loads of spare bulbs. The screw was obviously rusted in and before I knew it, I've stripped the cross-head off the screw. What a numpty.

I'm going to soak it in WD40 (should maybe have done this before trying it the first time) and try again in the morning, but if I really can't get the screw out, what can I do? Obviously I can't really drive it very long with no front indicator. As I say - Nuts.

The front indicator's dont have a screw in them? On the early or late bumpers they are held in with a spring clip

and pop out with a little help from a small flatblade screwdriver :)

This one definitely has a screw in it! Although I know what you mean, I've seen 16vs without.

Will I have to drill it out? Take the bumper off and unscrew it from the back with pliers??? Totally at a loss, and although it's a daft thing, you wouldn't believe how unsafe you feel driving around with no left indicator!

might sound a bit violent but try pressing a flat head into it and "screwing" other than that, make sure its properly soaked in WD and get a little hammer and a pointy device and try turning it so far with that till u can grab with pliers?

I read "plusgas" aerosol was best for freeing rusted screws, etc. Have used this recently and not had any probs, but appreciate that is not a scientific assesment.

Can you dremel a new, broad slot in the screw head? I would never be without my dremel (or, rather a copy of it) for things like this.

Now that would be a great idea, if I had a dremel! Must put one on my shopping list. Plus, the hole is really deep so I can't see how I'd get a cutting blade into it.

Off to see my dad and his clever mechanic neighbour tomorrow, hoping one of the two will have a solution! What a pain in the arse!

you can get a set of bolt/screw remover (from halfords i think) .....they are like drill bits with a reverse thread.....put in a drill and go anti-clockwise and as it catches it unscrews the bolt/screw.....not that dear either

The screw you can see is the adjuster for the fog lamp aim! Its not attached to the indicator :-)

As you can just about make out from the attached pic, it shows an early fog and indicator I have

laying about.

Just slip a small flatblade inbetween the fog lamp and indicator and leaver the indicator accross away

from the fog light, trust me it will pop out!

Dan

Damnit, you're absolutely right!

So this just means I've messed up my fog light adjusting screw - no great loss. Indicator bulb now replaced! Yay! Thanks Dan, and the rest of you who were blatantly right in the first place... :D