Sign in to follow this  
JasonSanders

Speaker Sizes that fit in a raddo

Im going shopping tomorrow and just want to replace the original speakers with mroe beefy ones.

So what sizes are

The 2 in the dash

Door pocket ones

Rear Speakers

cheers

Well the factory speakers are as follows: Dash are tweeters so 4" will go, The door cards are 5'1/4" and the rear shelf ones are 6'4" .

What ones are you getting mate?

not sure on what speakers yet, i work at halfords so ill just grab a few sets put them in and see what they sounds like.

At the moment ive just got a crappy sony mini disc headunit with a 4x50w on it im stuck with that until my new alpine comes in thats got a 4x60 which ill use to power everything in the dash and doors then as its got 2 pre outs ill run the rear speakers off one amp, probably a 4 or 6 channel and then ill use a monoblock amp on the other preout for a sub

Ive been looking into sorting the speakers out in my VR - I have a high quality Pioneer CD Player with 4 * 60 watt output and the speakers are pants *:)

Im hoping a set of focal components will go in the front nicely 8)

JasonSanders, NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You sit in the front!!! amp them!!!!!!!

you dont need to amp 6x4's, pointless wate of time.

and im not sure 4" will fit in the dash. think its 3 1/2"

best bet is some 5" components, keeps the soundstage as VW intended (which is really good actually) by puting the tweeters in the dash where they belong.

Cheers

Im hoping a set of focal components will go in the front nicely

Good choice mate 8)

And apparently yes, they will fit rather nicely :)

you shoulda been part of the group buy they had a while ago :lol:

I have just taken delivery of a brand new set of MB Quart DKD 146's (as recommended by Brian)- and a set of MBQ RSD 213's for the front.

Got them for a frankly shocking £130 from Ebay, seller ID mailto:[email protected]

He has the focals there too. Only thing is that he wont accept paypal - money orders only but they were delivered to my door 3 days after he sent em!

All brand new and still have the MBQ seals. Highly recommended.

Will have finished the install by the end of monday! Cant wait. :D

So far I have the speakers in place (the 146's were hard to get in!! I just havent done the wiring yet!

the 146's were hard to get in!!

ha ha, see what i mean? i used an electric jigsaw and a file, but i dont know what tools you would have had available..

What did you use?

Did your components come with crimps or anything? mine did my my 6x4's didnt :(

are your components in yet? :lol:

I used an open hacksaw and a file. very tidy job!

Neither the components nor the 6x4's came with crimps tho and the MBQ crossovers are to big to slot into the dash so a small bit of wiring will be done at some point. CAN'T wait to hear em!! :D

What is the difference between component speakers and full range, need some speakers for my doors, one has blown, don't know what to do, crap head unti at the mo, Sony 6 by 9 in the rear shelf, someone please PM with advice as I obviously don't have a clue.

Cheers,

Paul

component = 2 or more parts... (Seperate tweeter and woofer)

Full range = all in one part. (tweeter is part of the single cone, or mounted into the same housing as the woofer)

Henny, i think he was more so asking what difference they make not what they are but i could be wrong!

The single cone finds it hard to oscillate at high & low frequencies at the same time once you get higher in power as the excursion becomes greater so get a small cone(tweeter) to do it's job & leave the bigger cone handle the bass, the cross-over filters out the frequencies that each speaker doesn't need thus keeping complience with each speaker & ultimately cleaner more accurate sound at higher volume without distortion!

HTH

Chris

So I have seen what I thought were some nice speakers by Pioneer but loads of companies out there, Full Range speakers 13cm, max 160 w but I don't know if I should be going for components or other makes rather than Pioneer, like Infinity, etc. someone please advise.

Thanks,

Paul

Chris_VR6nos :oops: yeah, it could have been meant like that I suppose... ;)

morpheus20170 If you can afford the difference (not always that much actually) get components for the front... you'll tell the difference as the staging is MUCH better, and the response from a set of components (as Chris pointed out) is much superior than from a single full range speaker... :)

I've got JBL speakers all around in my corrado (and an Infinity Basslink in the post to go into the boot! :wink: ) Standard sizes (6x4 in the rear, 5.25 in the door and tweeters in the dash) the sound stage is lovely, and the sound quality is very good... 8) They didn't cost the earth either... :wink: 8)

Try http://www.cel-direct.com/ or http://caraudiosecurity.com

I got my JBLs from CEL, and my Basslink from caraudiosecurity... 8)

Hope this helps... 8)

Paul there are many sites out there to get reviews from but Pioneer are at the bottom of my wish list, I have Focal Kevlar componants but divide any peak power by 4 to get a guide of handling power, the RMS(root mean squar) is the average constant handling power, I think my Focals were £360 when i bought them, for 2 6inch bass drivers & 2 tweeters & cross-overs and they sound beautiful!

These speakers were in a number of IASCA sound off winning cars

Chris

The rear speakers in a C are not 6x4. They are 3 1/4 x 5. If you get 6x4's they will not fit. I got some and they are way too big.

Hope this helps.

J

The rear speakers in a C are not 6x4. They are 3 1/4 x 5. If you get 6x4's they will not fit. I got some and they are way too big.

Hope this helps.

J

Well, the 6x4s that I've got fit perfectly... They're the same as in the MKI and MKII (and probably MKIII ! ) golf rears too! I've also got some Alpines that are 6x4 and fit, but are headed to my MKI and some Blaupunkt and Nokia ones that I really need to bin!

What make 6x4s did you get? Most speaker manufacturers say that 6x4 fit the rear of the Corrado...

(Mine are JBL GTO 642 if anyone's interested...)

click here for JBL's size guide for Corrados...

My mistake, I got the speakers for Christmas and it turns out they are actually 5x7" weird size!! Still they are not right and I need to swap them for the right ones!

I'll get my coat! :oops:

J

:lol: fair enough... I did have to recheck just to make sure I wasn't going mad... :wink: you're normally spot on with interior stuff. 8)

5x7? that's a very odd size... Probably something weird like a Ford... :wink: :lol: