Sign in to follow this  
Alexander

Central plastic tunnel - fitting?

Hi guys,

You know the central plastic tunnel, the one between the two front seats from which the handbrake protrudes - mine isn't fixed to anything and creaks and rattles in a very annoying manner. Can anyone tell me how it's supposed to be fitted? Oddly there's nothing in the Bentley manual about it.

Cheers!

There is a screw at the front of the handbrake hole. The plastic is quite brittle and if someone's had it off (oh err!) and not undone the screw it will have cracked or broken, i think there may be similiar under the rear ash tray as well, but don't quote me on that!!!!!

Yep I can see that screw, it's not screwed into anything as far as I can see! I'll have to remove the whole thing and check underneath next time I get some daylight to work in. Cheers fella...!

Its also a lot better to remove the hand brake handle and the hand brake lever's shroud too.

The handle slides forward towards the dash but there's a little plastic noggin which needs to be tweeked forward or back to unclip the atcual handle, then the shroud slides forward too but take care not to split the plastic here.

Then its pretty self explanatory on removing the console/tunel part, amazing how much crap gets under here too :)

Kip.

It should also slot onto 4 metal screws in the floor. These have a kind of plastic button thing that screw onto them. Over time, they become loose and lose their thread, so they don't hold the plastic in place. Stick 'em on with araldite.

Well just had a look at this, and I can't get the handbrake handle off! I can see the plastic "noggin" but it doesn't budge any way I push/pull it, and I don't really want to break it off. Does it come up, down, towards the front of the car or the back of the car?

Daft questions ahoy! There'll be plenty of these I think. :D

The noggin is like a lever and needs to be tweeked towards the back of the car while tryin to slide the handle forward at the same time. took me ages to work it out but have removed it a few times without too much trouble.

Hang in there it'll go soon. and you can still get the handles from the dearers :lol: for about £27 for a leather covered one.

Kip.

i'm going to be doing this soon, decided that next week i'm going to take all the interior out and start putting it all back together nice and clean and try to solve some rattles, squeaks, groins and me driving along pushing bits of trim to see whats making the noise :lol:

Ha ha yeah the joys of vintage motoring...

Got my noggin sorted thanks, fitted an original plastic handbrake sleeve that I got off ebay. Looks a bit better. I'll be removing/refitting the center tunnel on the weekend, and if I get time, taking the doors to bits to solve a couple of horrible rattles!

Hey, reupholstered my car a few months back in cream leather, did all the seats, the door cards and the gear stick gaiter, but ran out of time and didnt get to do the handbreak gaiter. Am going to get onto the job soon. Was thinking, if i knocked up some of these in leather (just the gaiter and not the handle) would people be interested in purchasing them. They would be of a professional standard (looks back thru the threads about leather retrims at my interior) and could do them in both black and cream. Just wanting to gage the interest. I'll do mine and put up some pics soon. I rekon I would prob charge about £10-12 with p&p included. What doya think?

Tim

my roof has started making a weird noise & something around the centre tunnel area has started to creak as i pull away etc

roof sounds worrying, could be some kind of cable slapping around?

The roof often makes noises because of ice around the sunroof opening - it cracks and crunches as the car twists (which they do a LOT these old cars).

could be that then, has only started the last two days

i've never opened my sunroof as i'm scared it will break :lol:

It should also slot onto 4 metal screws in the floor. These have a kind of plastic button thing that screw onto them. Over time, they become loose and lose their thread, so they don't hold the plastic in place. Stick 'em on with araldite.

I owe you a virtual pint dude. Just took it off and could see where it'd been stuck previously to the four plastic buttons, but had come away. Re-glued the "frame" to these, let it set then remounted the plastic tunnel and it's solid as a rock! Had a good afternoon fixing little bits and pieces, feeling quite satisfied (I'm sure it'll only be temporary mind you). :D