Sign in to follow this  
jedi-knight83

how acurate is the MFA, MPG thing?? and also the speedo??

as the title says? how acurate is this information?

also my speedo is reading way off what it should. I have a GPS system that is very acurate for speed. My VR was indicating 100 (as i cruised round my private track) but the trusty GPS said 89. VR indicated 120, GPS showed about 100 - 105.

quite a difference...can this be calibrated at all?

I too have also checked my spedo with a GPS. It was my Dads GPS and he was in the car with me so I only tested it up to 80mph and it was virtualy bang on all the way, except 1 or 2 mph either way. I'm sure that I have heard that the faster your going in any car the more inacurate the speedo reading becomes. Also if you change wheel or tyre size from the original factory spec, it will effect the reading, yeah??

I used my gps again yesterday. the speedo is way out.. 100 indicated on the car is only 88 on GPS.

Does this mean my car will put more mile on the speedo than it is actually doing??? Can this be calibrated?

thanks

Does this mean my car will put more mile on the speedo than it is actually doing??? Can this be calibrated?

thats a good point, I never thought of that, I dunno what the C does, I know in previous cars I've own that they were indipendant, so you might be lucky and its not reading the wrong mileage

Didn't you say you had a silly speedo fascia? Some coloured thing? Or was it someone else on the group said that?

Maybe the dial isn't placed correctly?

VR6 should have a 0-160 mph dial.

i dont think the dials are original. they are white (it is a cream leather interior) but i thought all the vr6 dials were black???

i'll check what the max is when i go home tonight

I thought all the dials were standard for a VR, no matter what the interior colour

ALL VWs from the era of the 'rado left the factory with white letters on a black background for the speedo. jedi-knight83 Someone's stuck new aftermarket faces on badly... :? Get 'em off, and your speedo's probably reading correctly again... 8)

ok i'll try it.... although i never have liked the idea of taking the dials apart... kinda freaks me out a little bit :( :?

if i unplug all the speedo will it loose its current mileage?

Shouldn't lose the mileage, but it will probably lose the other "trip" functions.

All VRs had black dials with white letters, and red needles. White dials is an aftermarket hack, hence your funny speedo readings. They've probably fitted the 16V dials with a 0-140 dial. You'll probably find the fuel gauge isn't right either. Your VR6 should have a 15 gallon scale. If it's the 16V dials it'll also have a 0-8000 rpm rev counter.

ALL WRONG! In other words!!! :)

the fuel gauge is 15 gallons with 8 as the half way point

the revs are 7000rpm with the red starting about 6500rpm.

i can take a pic tonight if i remember.

you reckon the original will be behind it still?