Sign in to follow this  
john2k

Vr6 short block overhaule

ok am i right in thinking the only diffrance between a VR ABV 2.9 and a AAA 2.8 block is the bore diameter.As im looking into overhauling the engine soon and want to get a 2.8 block bored out to a 2.9 .Does anyone know of a decent engine shop were i caould get this done.thanks

Two choices for the AAA to get 2.9:-

1) Bore to 82mm, use stock VW 82mm Mahle pistons @ ~ £650+VAT + back order lead time.

Gives you 2861cc

2) Bore to 82.5mm, use Mahle 82.5mm overbore pistons @ ~ £600+VAT + up to 6 week lead time, depending on stock levels.

Gives you 2897cc

Boring is on average £100-£150 per block, but a tiltable milling bed is a must. Not that many places can bore VR6 blocks.

Stealth racing do 82.5mm over bores all the time.....at least 4 or 5 a month. Lots are being built at the moment, so there was a shortage of pistons last time I spoke to Stealth.

Their rebuilt block price installed is £2300 IIRC.

I already have a set of new pistons rings and pins that i got off ebay there standard 2.9 pistons just need a AAA block.Got hold of stealth Friday and was qouated £200 inc vat for the reboar.Phoned my local engine shop in Reading and was told 240 + vat and tryed one in slough and was qouated £100-£120.Sounds too cheap to me but could be worth a look.