Sign in to follow this  
craigowl

1971 "Motor" Road Tests rediscovered

In early 1972, I bought the above book which came out each year IIRC.

We bought the Opel Manta 1.6 after considering everything inside the book (and others not in it including the Triumph GT6 and Land Rover - ain't we daft when young? :lol:)

I thought this book had been binned by me in a fit of spring cleaning a couple of years ago but was delighted to find I had held onto it. The glue in the binding has dried out and all the pages (over 260 of them) are now loose.

Anyway, I thought some of you would be interested in a few of the tests, so have copied the cover listing the included cars.

Need to find out about copyright regarding putting tests on this forum.

NEW: Have e-mailed Autocar Haymarket to ask if this will be OK.

I'm trusting the MODS there aint any copyright issues reproducing these pages here?

I do not think "Motor" lives anymore but that may not matter.

Images are scanned "grayscale". Anyone know of something to help improve readability of text?

I think we'll be alright. Any 'cease and desist' demands, we'll just send em your way :)

Anyone know of something to help improve readability of text?

Use a higher DPI and turn down the JPG compression a little..? Looks like a bad case of compression artifacts, but dunno. What resolution are you scanning at?

(You're seeing the print on the back of the paper show through a little too - but there's not much you can do about that.)

Images are scanned "grayscale". Anyone know of something to help improve readability of text?

Try scanning at a slightly higher DPI and save it at higher quality (jpg's usually have several quality levels, so try saving at the highest setting)

Scanning at 200dpi.

Will 300+ increase size of document so that forum pix system will reject?

Wiil experiment - thanks, guys.

I think we'll be alright. Any 'cease and desist' demands, we'll just send em your way :)

Aw! Jim, have a heart! - I'm too old and frail to stand up to all those shirt lifters in jail!

I'm trusting the MODS there aint any copyright issues reproducing these pages here?

I do not think "Motor" lives anymore but that may not matter.

"Motor" was swallowed up by Autocar in 88 btw..........so it might be under Autocar's copyrights

That's really great. I find it quite interesting the way they have tested everything from a Morris Marina up to an Aston Martin DBS V8! Certainly a wide range of cars to choose from. Incidentally, why didn't you go for the Triumph? (i considered one before buying the C)

That's really great. I find it quite interesting the way they have tested everything from a Morris Marina up to an Aston Martin DBS V8! Certainly a wide range of cars to choose from. Incidentally, why didn't you go for the Triumph? (i considered one before buying the C)

Stag, you mean?

It was over 150% of the price of the Opel! We were both working shifts but had a mortgage and a child on the way, so £1450 was the limit IIRC.

Anyway, the Stags all ended up needing new engines pretty soon, too, IIRC. A cool buy nowadays, though.

Stag, you mean?

It was over 150% of the price of the Opel! We were both working shifts but had a mortgage and a child on the way, so £1450 was the limit IIRC.

Anyway, the Stags all ended up needing new engines pretty soon, too, IIRC. A cool buy nowadays, though.

Yes, they are pretty cool. My uncle has two, one red, one a really nasty brown, so I'm quite partial to them, I looked at both TR5 and 6s, but they were a bit out of my league and not really practical for south london.