Sign in to follow this  
evoblade

suspension for vr6

I have a corrado vr6 with what i believe to be standard suspension. I do not think that it has ever been replaced. The ride is extremly hard. Does anyone know of a decent suspension set up that is not rock hard

Standard VR6 suspension isn't that "hard". It's definitely "harsh" over short-wavelength oscillations (pot-holes!), and that's pretty normal given it's age. This can be improved with new bushes all round, but it's still based on a 10-year old design, so you won't get up to modern standards of comfort.

But long-wavelength stuff it's pretty soft, though I feel it's a nice compromise.

Most after-market suspension setups are harder.

Note that wheels larger than the original 15" will also make the ride much harsher by reducing the size of the tyre's side wall.

HTH.

Thanks for the information dr_mat. I was thinking of fitting top adjustable koni suspension all round with new bushes. Do you know if this is a good set up to go for. I have also seen AVo equivalent suspension for sale on a couple of sites

I couldn't comment on the after-market suspension, cos I've never compared the two. Other folks around here can give you more advice on that...

How many miles has your VR6 done on it's original suspension?

You'd probably benefit from new bushes then alone. Certainly the rears will probably be failing the MOT soon if they've not been done yet. The top mounts on the front tend to compress a fair bit over that sort of time aswell (from what I've been told - mine are still on originals at 115k, and could probably do with changing).

The rear bushes are theoretically simple.. But rarely so in practise..

They're usually completes gits to remove because they've been there for 8 years and everything's rusted up..

Compared to other VW marques of that era, the Corrado was setup stiff, too stiff for some people's tastes, but it was attributable to it's excellent handling.

I recommend Koni TAs all round, Neuspeed 25mm rear anti-roll bar and H&R springs. Be under no illusion, the ride will be just as harsh (if not more so) as standard over the pot holes dr_mat explained but on the open road where S bends and undulations feature, you'll notice the improved body control straight away. The standard setup tends to wallow in these conditions.

Kev