Sign in to follow this  
MK1Campaign

Rust around fuel flap lock

Ive noticed a tiny bit of rust starting around the fuel flap lock on my C.

How do you drop the lock and filler neck out of the way?

Can you get behind it all once all the parts are removed as i want to get it all ground up and painted before it spreads.

At the filler neck, in the upper wheel arch, is a mud trap.

You can remove the rubber grommet from around the filler cap by freeing its retaining sprung ring.

Have seen threads on here before (ages ago now) about this.

It is best to get in among this area with a hose and waxoyl area about once a year. Plug the open filler cap neck, of course, while you are working.

You need to remove the plastic lock piece from behind. IIRC there's a small tab or something on it which you need to move with a screwdriver to be able to remove it. I't's a cheap part if it breaks providing it's not obsolete now.

You need to remove the plastic lock piece from behind. IIRC there's a small tab or something on it which you need to move with a screwdriver to be able to remove it. I't's a cheap part if it breaks providing it's not obsolete now.

Cheers Bill. I take it you go up through the wheel arch or is it accesable from the boot area somehow? The cars not to hand so i cant look right now.

At the filler neck, in the upper wheel arch, is a mud trap.

You can remove the rubber grommet from around the filler cap by freeing its retaining sprung ring.

Have seen threads on here before (ages ago now) about this.

It is best to get in among this area with a hose and waxoyl area about once a year. Plug the open filler cap neck, of course, while you are working.

Cheers :D

Cheers Bill. I take it you go up through the wheel arch or is it accesable from the boot area somehow? The cars not to hand so i cant look right now.

Hi Ben, You can access it from beside the filler neck once you've removed the rubber boot. Problem is you're working blind, but it's so simple and clever (typical VW) once you manage to work it out. Just be patient and don't try to prise it out or it'll just break.