Sign in to follow this  
vwdeviant

34inches... Yeah Baby!

What the hell is that?

That is extreme rat rodding and a good example of what rat look is, not the rubbish you see at shows sporting the "rat" look with a forced rusty bonnet, roof bars, stickers.

What the hell is that?

That is extreme rat rodding and a good example of what rat look is, not the rubbish you see at shows sporting the "rat" look with a forced rusty bonnet, roof bars, stickers.

Well Rat's kind of all about the "patina" of OG paint body wise.. then it kinda splits.. the Hardcore Rat rodders favour the look of "I Just pulled this out of a barn where its been stored from Circa 1950" with period parts etc.. and others go the "Shiney bits" route.. Me? I love the former..

Back on topic a little I wonder if he drives lying down!

Well Rat's kind of all about the "patina" of OG paint body wise.. then it kinda splits.. the Hardcore Rat rodders favour the look of "I Just pulled this out of a barn where its been stored from Circa 1950" with period parts etc.. and others go the "Shiney bits" route.. Me? I love the former..

Back on topic a little I wonder if he drives lying down!

We are on topic talking about a rat rod.

Rat rodding was around in the 1950's, you were a rat rodder and looked down on by the street rodders in their blinged up rods.

I thought that though he must be lying down surely, i know he was stood next to a low roof car but when he got out he looked over 6ft and how narrow was the windscreen cut out :shock:

That is a mad looking thing. And sounds pretty crazy. So that's where the rat look comes from then? All these guys with golfs that have rusty bonnets and steels are just emulating this kind of thing? Or is that Hood Ride? You'll have to forgive my ignorance on this.

I also think it'll be in the dictionary under head turner. Respect! :D

That is a mad looking thing. And sounds pretty crazy. So that's where the rat look comes from then? All these guys with golfs that have rusty bonnets and steels are just emulating this kind of thing? Or is that Hood Ride? You'll have to forgive my ignorance on this.

I also think it'll be in the dictionary under head turner. Respect! :D

Yeah, that's the look they're going for, but not being 50s lumps of pig iron it doesn't really suit euro styling.

As vwdeviant said, its all about the 'straight out of the barn' look, all bits must be as rusted as possible and OE. It must look like no work has ever been done on the body, as its all about the engine.

That rod is madness, doesn't even come up to the guy's hip!

Notice the subtle difference?

Yes, just about with my untrained eye....

It makes a lot more sense on those cars than it does on a golf imo. Those engines look nice and accessible if you ever need to do any work on them as well.... Which I'm guessing is frequently?

Quality...

For those who want more get copies of Custom Car etc...

Persoanlly I love Rats.. properly done..

my "dream Rat" is Puppy from Type 3 Dectectives' "Linde" Bus...

"Rat Rodding", what ever next?

Shat prodding more like. What on earth is the appeal of driving around in a rusty piece?

I like the dirty car look and defo agree with the engine being more important.....but rust definitely is not cool. Not to people with good taste anyway :lol:

People choose to rat rod nowadays but back in the day it was not a choice like "i want my car to be rusty" it was what it was.

IIRC there was a guy who was building a rod car and he was going to show it somewhere but never got round to finishing it and was painted in primer but he liked it so much he left it that way and it kind of grew from there.

"Rat Rodding", what ever next?

Shat prodding more like. What on earth is the appeal of driving around in a rusty piece?

I like the dirty car look and defo agree with the engine being more important.....but rust definitely is not cool. Not to people with good taste anyway :lol:

erm think junkie hit it on the head there... it wasnt by choice... they spent all their time and money on the engine making it go faster! as for what ever next... i think it happened a few years ago mate! lol ! Love them though its proper engineering, its not just a case of sourcing parts for a car and fitting them, a few mates of mine have built hot rods and its a case of find something about right then modifiy it and the car to make it work... alot of work but it can make an awesome car!