Sign in to follow this  
Mystic Storm

New Fuel Tank Required

Hi,

I've recently noticed that the fuel filler neck, if that's the right name for it, has started to rust quite badly. Will hopefully get a proper look this weekend but I was just wondering if anyone has had the same problem? All I could find using the search was for Rocco's.

I'm assuming that the filler neck is separate from the fuel tank itself and so can be replaced easily enough. Either that or clean up he one that's on. Is there anything else I should think about like rust getting into the fuel tank, checking the fuel filter etc?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

James

im confused..?!?! i thought the filler neck on corrado's and mk3 golfs was all one big molded plastic lump including the tank..?!?

do you mean just the section right at the very top where the petrol hose nozzle goes in..??

and your search was right, rusty filler neck is a bit of a scirocco killer... :(

pb

Mine's the same. I gave it a really good clean and gave it a couple of coats of Hammerite. You'll need to leave it to dry for a couple of days before fitting the cap back on.

Cheers for the help peeps :)

im confused..?!?! i thought the filler neck on corrado's and mk3 golfs was all one big molded plastic lump including the tank..?!?

do you mean just the section right at the very top where the petrol hose nozzle goes in..??

and your search was right, rusty filler neck is a bit of a scirocco killer... :(

pb

Exactly right pb, the metal 'neck' where the petrol nozzle goes in i.e. what the petrol cap screws into. I think this may be removable on it's own?

Mine's the same. I gave it a really good clean and gave it a couple of coats of Hammerite. You'll need to leave it to dry for a couple of days before fitting the cap back on.

Cazza,

Did you remove the neck before cleaning/painting?

The filler neck on my Mk1 Golf cabby rotted out, think lesser men would have given up, dropped the rear axel and exhaust and replaced the tank, filler neck, fuel lines, injectors, cold start valve, warm up regulator, metering head and both fuel pumps ( £££ :( ). All on the driveway in Jan. :puppydogeyes: Things we do for cars...

I've got the same problem and enquired about it last time I was at C&R Enterprises at Nottingham.

Apparently with the Corrado its just cosmetic as the top bit is seperate to the filler neck which is the killer for MkI's when that rusts and bits drop into the tank.

Mind eased of possible expensive future bills but it does look nasty every time I fill up. :(

I've got the same problem and enquired about it last time I was at C&R Enterprises at Nottingham.

Apparently with the Corrado its just cosmetic as the top bit is seperate to the filler neck which is the killer for MkI's when that rusts and bits drop into the tank.

Mind eased of possible expensive future bills but it does look nasty every time I fill up. :(

Good to know mate cheers. I'll get it cleaned up this weekend if it stays dry :o

Apparently with the Corrado its just cosmetic as the top bit is seperate to the filler neck which

I think Roy may have described it poorly to you, the top section of the tank is a metal section that is moulded in and isn't replaceable and this is becoming an issue on the Golf 2, 3, Corrado, Passat etc. What is a concern is that behind the rubber boot, there is an earth strap attached to that metal ring section that is then connected to the body by a stainless steel clip that earths the metal ring to the car. Most of these earth straps have now fallen off so the top of the tank now has nowhere for any static discharge to go when filling with fuel! Personally I think VW should have made the metal section in stainless steel as well as the body clip, they obviously thought corrosion here was a concern (the wheel blasts that area with dirt/water) as the body clip is stainless so why not the neck area? Repairing this earth strap is scary stuff; I have soldered a few male spade terminals on after lifting up an edge but have to admit to shaking like a leaf when doing this even with the cap on and someone watching with an extinguisher. Some may think it is excessive of me to repair this but if I didn

Interesting post, crasher. :shock: Full of good news, too! :lol:

I remembered when reading, that I found the brown wire adrift shortly after acquiring my C in 2002 and soldered it back - with great difficulty - I recall. What is the flash point of our fuel, then?

Well I've FINALLY got round to saving up some cash to spend on the rado :) and the first I need to do is replace the fuel tank. I've asked my local garage about sourcing a new tank but they weren't very helpful. I've done the usual search on the forum but can't find much. Does anyone know where I can source a fuel tank for a VR6? Somebody mentioned a VW place in Newcastle before but I can't remember who etc!

Also, if I'm changing the fuel tank should I change the fuel lines, pump etc at the same time?

Cheers,

James

i have a complete fuel tank/lines etc etc for sale mate.

So you do mate. Only problem is getting it from you as I live in Edinburgh and I reckon postage would be on the expensive side.

I've heard that the fuel tank is the same as that from a MK3 Golf, can anyone confirm?

These are the various tanks listed for the corrado

535201075H

fuel tank / F >> 50-M-035 000

55LTR. / 9A,2E,ADY KR

535201075AD

fuel tank / F 50-N-000 001>>

70ltr. / "J..":9A; KR

535201075AE

fuel tank with narrow fuel filler neck (22mm) for lead-free fuel

70ltr. / 9A

535201075H

fuel tank / F >> 50-L-005 732

55LTR. / PG

535201075M

fuel tank / F 50-L-005 733>> 50-M-035 000

55LTR. / PG

535201075AA

fuel tank / F 50-N-000 001>>

70ltr. / PG; "J..":PG,ABV

535201075L

fuel tank with narrow fuel filler neck (22mm) for lead-free fuel / F >> 50-L-005 734

55LTR. / PG

535201075N

fuel tank with narrow fuel filler neck (22mm) for lead-free fuel / F 50-L-005 735>> 50-M-035 000

55LTR. / PG

535201075AB

fuel tank with narrow fuel filler neck (22mm) for lead-free fuel / F 50-N-000 001>>

70ltr. / PG,ABV,2E, ADY

It looks like you probably need 535201075AB which according to vagcat was only fitted to the corrado, in fact all of the tanks listed are specific to the corrado according to vagcat.

i have a complete fuel tank/lines etc etc for sale mate.

So you do mate. Only problem is getting it from you as I live in Edinburgh and I reckon postage would be on the expensive side.

I've heard that the fuel tank is the same as that from a MK3 Golf, can anyone confirm?

i can get it sent for approx £20 mate, so not that bad.

karl

Someone want to check the Pish-rat section too as I heard somewhwere that they are similar/the same??

if you search for part numbers it tells you all the models it fits, so all the corrado tanks are corrado specific.

Cheers for all the help. It was actually the guy at Veedubs who told me the Mk3 tank would fit the rado. Anyway, looks like I've found one now anyway.

KADVR6 - I'll post a reply on your for sale post to keep us right.