Sign in to follow this  
AlgarveVR6

Air Intake Temperature Sensor

Merry xmas one and all.

Quick question about my 1993 vr6. I have just done vag com and rectified load of problems. I have one remaining which is causing a few head scratchings.

It concerns the air intake temp sensor. My local VW stealer here in Portugal can only find a hose with the relevant part number I have. 021 103 687. This is stamped on the part I have, but inside it there seem to be no connectors. There is a electrical connection to this part, which has a feed, but with no connectors I don't see the point.

The fault code on the vag com is 00527 Air intake temperature sensor open circuit or something like that. However the vag com block readings are showing the air intake temp to be 19.6 degrees c. Is this a safe setting or just a standard setting

My view is of course it's gonna be that if there are no connectors inside the sensor-

can anyone enlighten me on this matter, as I'm lost.

Car does however seem to run very well, with a few intermittent hiccups due to needing to clean lamda sensor connections.

Insight is a wonderful thing, but at the moment the only sight I have is blank

Cheers for anyones help

Dic

That sensor is a blank on UK cars - I think it was for the 170BHP US Market cars only becuase of higher emmision controls...

Where did your car originate?

Car was originally a UK car. I understand it's a blank, but surely there would be no feed to it, and the ecu would be programmed not to have a value.

I shall not worry about it if it is usually a blank.

I shall drive my car and enjoy it before it goes wrong again

God I love my C but she can be a pain

Thanks

The air intake sensor is in the inlet manifold next to the brake servo hose.

The blank socket in the breather hose would be a heater in cold climates, but is a dummy in UK cars.

VW just didn't bother doing seperate looms, so left it connected.

Fuelling and ignition are tuned around a default of 20 degrees if the ECU can't get a signal from the sensor, which is a half way saftey point between winter and summer.

Well thats typical isn't it. Got a new blue coolant temp sensor fitted, leaving the air intake sensor for another day.

Drove to the top of our nearest mountain into the clouds. Pop went the coolant hose on the top of the engine next to the heat exchanger.

F--/$/& went I and jury rigged it and drove to nearest VW stealers and ordered another.

I still love her tho..............

Lag that pipe with some of that thermal wrapping stuff as it gets too hot from being above the exhaust.

Not cheap that hose, about £70 GBP!