Sign in to follow this  
Funkster

Lupo GTI wipers, springs too strong?

Hi all,

I've had a dig with the search but haven't found any reference to the same problem... although my Lupo GTI wipers were great when they were first fitted, the blades soon got folded over to one side so the sharp wiping edge hardly touches the screen. It tends to only flip back and forth when the screen is really dry, which doesn't happen 'cos the leant-over blade doesn't dry the screen very well :o)

I think perhaps the springs in the arms are too strong so the blades can't hold themselves in shape... has anyone else experienced this and had to change the spring / bend the arms? My blades have been like this for well over a year now so there's no getting them back, but I don't want to buy new ones just to find the exact same thing happens again.

Thanks in advance for any hints,

--

Olly

With the blades removed, lower an arm onto the screen and check that the hinge bit the wipers slide onto is exactly parallel to the glass. You'll see what I mean.

Unfortunately the donor cars these wiper systems come from have different rake scuttles and screens and sometimes you need to bend the arm to make the wipers properly parallel to the glass.

TBH I was never happy with the Lupo set up so I fitted the TT setup in June 06 and I'm still on the original blades 18 months later!! Still wiping perfectly :-)

The genuine VW blades that came with my lupo arms have lasted very well, must be nearly a couple of years by now and they are still fine although washer fluid and how regularly you clean them may have an effect on their lifespan.

No problem with the arms either, the whole point of them is that the springs are stronger and hold the blades down better than the old worn Corrado ones, so your's must be damaged or bent or something?

You can bend the arms slightly to match the profile of the screen - there is a document on the Bosch website regarding this but it's really just common sense, this is wear the late MK1 TT arms have the advantage I think...

My setup is also 2 years old on the original blades and still working fine - I have noticed they don't work as well on the TDI tho as I have a Pilkington screen that seems to have a flat spot in it which the wiper jumps but i've got used to this...

The above problem could also be due to screen wash (I only use the VW stuff now as it just seems better than anything else out there) or even where the car is parked or the amount of time it spends in the sun / cleaning products used etc...

I'd try new blades first and see what happens

Bit of an update...

Fitted new blades and gave the arms a bit of a bend to slightly straighten out the bit where it angles towards the screen, and it's wiping properly again. Also I *think* that looking at the blades when they're parked, it doesn't seem to be trying to squash them flat again - but time will no doubt tell on that one.

fwiw the latest part numbers for the right-hand-drive blades are:

Lupo right = Corrado left

6X2 955 426 A

Lupo left = Corrado right

1J2 955 425 B

hth,

--

Olly

Personally I run slightly bent stock Rado arms, Bosch "spoiler" blades, (which have just renewed after 2+ years!), and Rain-x. A completely clear screen and no "corrado triangle"!

Did anyone ever figure out if you can replace the rubbers on these aero blades? Seems pointless to throw out the whole thing just to replace the rubber strip. (Though I know this is exactly what we've been doing for years I have to think there's a better way .. )

Did anyone ever figure out if you can replace the rubbers on these aero blades? Seems pointless to throw out the whole thing just to replace the rubber strip. (Though I know this is exactly what we've been doing for years I have to think there's a better way .. )

you can, it's just finding a blade with the correct cross section to slot into the plastic part, I've only ever found replacement rubber for conventional blades that have a different cross section, aero blades only seem to be sold complete.

although I think I've just found them: e-bay £8.20 delivered for 2 28" refills