Sign in to follow this  
fla

cam knock

If an engine has a cam knock or a small end knock, what would be required to sort it out? And how much time would that entail? Plus, which bits would be required?

I've not heard a VR6 suffer from cam knock before as VW cams are generally very strong. It's pretty rare. Usual cause is just a worn cam/s.

Small end knock is also quite rare. It's usually the big ends that go. Big ends are easy to replace with the engine in situ by dropping the sump.

Small ends require the head to be removed. The conrod and piston need to be pulled out from the top of the block, gudgeon pins and / or pistons replaced then dropped back down again.

What are the symptoms?

Sure it's not piston slap? That is common on the VR6.

Dont know the symptoms. I've been offered a block by a friend which apparently has these issues. I'm thinking of just swopping the engine forteh short terms while I rebuild my one so at least the car is on the road, but as this 'donor' engine has these issues i dopnt know if its worth it. I just want to pull the old one out and put the new one in at teh moment. Its too cold to be messijg around with a rebuild at the moment lol.