Sign in to follow this  
Z-Raddo G60

Auto Trans short 3rd

Drain the tranny and refill. Change the filter too. The use an additive by Lubegard - its a US company and is essentially a friction modifier. Dont use Wynn's or any other cheapo stuff. Try the lubegard, run the car for a few hundred miles and get back to us.

this is what I have been doing, only for a about two weeks though, drop the trans pan empty and refill. just dropped the pan again, drain, and change filter, and refill (or at least that is where I am now.) :lol:

The colour is about right. If it is black then it points to clutches burning. It looks like you're not getting much luck with the oil changes, so I would really bother any further with that. You always get some left in the torque converter which needs to be drained out and thats not a simple task. But i doubt thats your problem. Use the Lubegard additive and get an adaptation from an auto gearbox workshop put into the tranny TCM to delay the change to 4th gear.

If you've done the oil it might be worth seeing if any fault codes are logged.

how or what is the best way to find the fault codes? most economical way? easiest?

get it on VAGCOM. Also, do a tranny reset: put it in basic settings, ignition on, engine off, select block 000, press the accelerator right down for 5 seconds and then let go. There's no physical change, so dont wait for any noises or movement. Try it and see how you get on.