Sign in to follow this  
Stretch

2.0 16v Chip

I have found out there is a chip for the 2.0 16v.

It will apparently add an extra 22bhp and 17lb of torque.

Fitted and including VAT it will cost £250ish.

Has anybody tried this?

Is it BS or is there a better one?

I'm not having alot of luck finding anything else out there for my Corrado and i'm wondering if i'm being lied too.

??? sounds a bit strange to me :? wots the name of the company with this chip?

Nah, 'snot strange, I know Superchips list 'em too... 8)

I have no idea how good they are 'cos I've no experience with the 2litre 16V engines, only the un-chipable 1.8's... :?

yeah! i know that there is a chip for the k-motronic 2.0 16v i think power gains would be more like 12-16 bhp, but i might be wrong :?

I rang the company again today. This time I spoke to somebody who seems to know a bit more about what they're selling. It's not going to give a fantastic 22bhp extra... POO! Instead it gives an extra 10% increase in ponys and wrench. And it doesn't cost £230. It's £121, thats posted out and fitted D.I.Y. (Instructions included).

I think it's called STARCHIP, if wanted I will put up the phone number for others to get one. I rang a few other companies who do chips for the 2.0 16v and found them to be more expensive and giving similar performance.

I will be installing mine next weekend and will let you know how it goes.

(Along with a few other little cheats to boost the power to 165bhp-ish)

Personall i think these mods for the K series manigement are usless and not worth any thing, u better of going down the pub and spending it there

I know there has been someone on this forum argue with me to why it is good mod but i will give my point of view to why its not

First of all the k-seris fuel system are mechanical system and all the brain controls is the ignition, idle & start up. Otherwise the more air that moves over the metering head the more fuel will pass.

So i still can see how chip will give you better performance other than fooling the brain to give it more igniton timing. If it was electronic injectors i could understand as you can adjust how long these are open and you can control the fuel.

When i built my engine running standard ECU system and ignition leads it produced 180bhp and now ive gone to a DTA system it produces 190 bhp maybe a bit more as it still needs some fine tunning.

If you want more power from a engine you need to look at the engine itself. Port and polish, cams, rebuild so that the compression is back up etc chips are there to smooth out the power range which in many case releases more power but that was because it was losing power in the first place

sorry to go on but thats my 2p's worth

Thankyou for your 2p's worth, accepted that it might not be worth spending a single penny on. I have read other peoples views from other forums and have taken them on board.

Most people say DONT DO IT!

But i'm an idiot and i'm going to go for it. If it doesn't work i'll let you all know. That way i'm the only one who reads this to loose out. If it does work then i'll let you all know and you can make up your own minds!

ok cool

well make sure who ever installs it for you when they do the rolling road they dont trick the machine

i.e they change the settings of air temp, air pressure etc as ive know rolling places to do this to make the car show its poducing more power than it really is

alex

2.1 16v

I bought a chip direct from Germany and they claim 14 bhp and they were only 15 quid It was a DIY swap but it was easy and its made especially for the 9A engine It seems to have made it accelerate quicker but Ive lost top end speed

The 9A has KE Motoronic. This system can control fueling as well as ignition. The KR engine has K Jetronic and is a different kettle of fish, it is true that the injection is mechanical and that the ECU cannot be chipped( No one has bothered??)

I had a KR(1800) C and fitted VSAM to it which made a world of difference.

However, the ECU for the 9A can be chipped. The fuelling is controlled at the fuel distributor by altering the KR equivalent of the control pressure.

The 9A management is far more sophisticated than the KR, as it has to be accurate enough to meet emissions, as they are all fitted with cats.

Alex, is your 2.1 based around a KR or 9A engined car?

Both do have control over the amount of fuel injected. The amount that the air flap is displaced by the airflow, is set by the shape of the bowl( can't think of a better term) that the flap is sat in.

This alters the amount of fuel injected. Fine tuning can be achieved, within limits, by changing the fuel pressure, control pressure and also at individual cylinders too, by adjusting the feed to a particular injector on the metering head.

Electronics has certainly made tuning easier but for a mass market both Kjet and KE motronic are very good and pretty reliable systems.. IMHO

Gavin

Oh yeah if you do spend your money down the pub, don't drive home. :lol:

Hello Gavin

My car started off as a 1.8 16v engine but i bought a 9A engine and had that tuned the hell out of it lol

if u every want bigger cc from what ive heard and know from my own its always better to start with a 9A block than a kr one

also ive know a few guys to run the k-star and yes it smoothed it out but they all said it wasnt worth paying that much money

i guess its all down to everyone taste personally i would get a digi system out of a 8v gti and put it on a 16v

Alex, you are right. You can't beat a well set up electronic management system. I have to laugh when I see folk spending a grand on carbs, they get the same power and far worse fuel economy than if they had stuck with K jet. Don't get me wrong I like the sound but a grand could do a lot for a 16V, headwork cams etc. Money far better spent.

My VSAM was the pro, which could do the fuelling too. Honestly though, running with and without the fuelling made no difference when measured by the 'butt dyno'. Not worth the hundred extra over the ordinary set up.

The bit liked most was going to a trackday, finding that you were losing time having to change into 4th when staying in 3rd and keeping on the gas would be better. I pulled out the laptop and advanced the timing more above 6500 before pulling it back loads at 7200, which acted like a rev limiter cos the power just died away.

Mapping an 8V ECU would take a bit of time which is of course money, VSAM/k-star are just 'cheap' fixes for a built in design issue.

Cheers

Gavin

Personall i think these mods for the K series manigement are usless and not worth any thing, u better of going down the pub and spending it there

I know there has been someone on this forum argue with me to why it is good mod but i will give my point of view to why its not

First of all the k-seris fuel system are mechanical system and all the brain controls is the ignition, idle & start up. Otherwise the more air that moves over the metering head the more fuel will pass.

So i still can see how chip will give you better performance other than fooling the brain to give it more igniton timing. If it was electronic injectors i could understand as you can adjust how long these are open and you can control the fuel.

When i built my engine running standard ECU system and ignition leads it produced 180bhp and now ive gone to a DTA system it produces 190 bhp maybe a bit more as it still needs some fine tunning.

If you want more power from a engine you need to look at the engine itself. Port and polish, cams, rebuild so that the compression is back up etc chips are there to smooth out the power range which in many case releases more power but that was because it was losing power in the first place

sorry to go on but thats my 2p's worth

TOTALLY AGREE!!

now if your running a Turbo..thats different story.

les

Can someone pls tell me what the main difference other than the obvious is between the 1.8 16v and the 2.0 16v as I am out to get another C and don't know what to get this time, I had a 1.8 16v last time but don't know whether to go to the 2.0, I see that you can work on the 2.0 more, is this correct?

Please help.

not a lot of diff mate between the 2 u get a lil bit more torque out the 2.0 but the cat takes a slight bit of performace away so they are both more or less the same.... personally i think the 1.8 is a better car...also i think u should get a VR6 8) :lol:

1.8 is a better car

phffffff *sign* i can beet VR6's with my 2.0 16v

come on all 2.0 16v owners our 2.0 is better than any 1.8 (apart from petrol costs :( ) it takes £50 to fill a tank then only last a damm 5 days but hey it is some fun 5 days :twisted:

Yea, but yours is magic. Im still waiting to see your engine bay pics. :lol:

:p :lol: :lol: PMSL!!!! joe :wink: ...........his IS faster than a VR6.....that was why he was asking about a chip in some other thread too