Sign in to follow this  
CazzaVR

Flood cures VR stalling!

Right, my VR generally runs well, but has occasional rough idle and often feels like it will stall at junctions etc, with low gear jekiness and sharp drops in the revs when approaching junctions, roundabouts etc.

Drove through a very deep flood last night (thought at one stage I was done for :? ). The water was halfway up the car, could hear it swirling around me. A couple of twats in 4X4s drove past in the opposite direction quite quickly, causing waves to wash over the bonnet :shock: No regard for other road users at all :roll:

Anyway, managed to get though OK. Brakes felt dodgy for a bit, but the car was running fine. Drove it for an hour today and also got it MOTd (which is passed with flying colours 8) ). The car has never run better! The stalling idle probs have completely vanished- absolutely no hint of the sudden drop in revs when coming up to junctions, or jerky 1st and 2nd gear changes. The idle is nice and smooth.

I can't think of any explanation for this, but the difference is marked.

So, if you've got the traditional VR stalling issues, go and half submerge your car under water!

Crikey! Wonder what happened there! Glad you didn't suck any water into the airbox Andy if the water was that high!

I had to go through a bit of a flooded road last night and it went over the wheels and caused the hot brakes to steam like fury... quite disconcerting to hear the water swooshing around the doors as you soldier through carefully! :)

Thats weird. Maybe the water round here is like the stuff they have at Lourdes? Should bottle it and sell it on e-bay :lol:

When I had my rear end shunt last year the boot light suddenly decided to start working having never been able to get it working before. :?

Moving to General seeing as though it's not exactly a technical thread about the engine :lol: Unless you can come up with an explanation of course!

Plus we don't want n00bs trying this as a cure for their VR now do we? :D

Jim, yeh was very worrying- it was pretty close to getting in the airbox. Plenty of steam was coming out of the bonnet :? What really annoyed me was the 4X4 drivers :mad: There was a broken down car in front of me when I got halfway through- they should have stopped on their side as they hadn't even got to the water yet. But no, they just came charging through, washing tidal waves over the C as they went :(

Vaughan- amazing what a little mishap can do, eh?

Still no idea how it cured my stalling. I was beginning to think it was the lambda causing probs- maybe the water killed it completely? But then surely it should run even worse? Dunno, but it's good!

Probably sucked a bit of water up and it steam cleaned the internals - theres long threads on clubgti about feeding a couple of litres of water in via a vac hose and the benefits of the cleaning it gives!

No really I'm being serious!

Still no idea how it cured my stalling. I was beginning to think it was the lambda causing probs- maybe the water killed it completely? But then surely it should run even worse? Dunno, but it's good!

well, Prodigal's car currently runs better sans lambda, so you could be right, and with regards to original post...

you know car washes HAVE been invented right? or was the flood actually just a puddle but your car is so damn low...?

Probably sucked a bit of water up and it steam cleaned the internals - theres long threads on clubgti about feeding a couple of litres of water in via a vac hose and the benefits of the cleaning it gives!

No really I'm being serious!

I hear very similar things. Apparently water injection systems can literally steam clean combustion chambers increasing economy and reliability!

No experiments yet, but if someone wants to bring a VR down to the Engine test cell to the School of Technology, Wheatley Campus.... :D

A good flush out like one's bowels get with colonic irrigation could be helpful, I suppose. :lol:

When the "Guardian" newspaper visited a posh health farm to undergo that and write an article, after some treatment the paper's photographer allegedly passed a marble he had swallowed as a 6-year old. :gag:

Unfortunately the flood effects have worn off. Car is a little rough as it used to be :( Maybe it was just a coincidence...

seriously though, could well be lambda.

Andy's 60 runs much better with it unplugged, so if your sensor was shorted by the water - and then ran fine - and now it's dried off, and works, the car runs lumpy again that might be something worth looking into?

it's a theory i'm working on at the mo.