Sign in to follow this  
DUBVR6

How do i know Heater matrix is gone?

Guys,

I know i have checked through all the threads and cannot find how to check if the heater matrix is gone!!!

Car has been parked for about a month and today the whole passenger footwell and rear was flooded. Started the car and the heater's are blowing hot air with no problems on all the settings.

I have read it could be to do with the Heater Scuttle 'Foliage Cover' Seal, i have poured water over the area and checked for leaks under the glove box, but cannot see anything.

Checked door membranes all fine. A bit buffled where the water has come from.

All advise appreciated.

I knew my matrix had gone when i put blower on to defrost screen. Misted it up even more. And then eventually no more heat.

The other tell tale was the coolant loss.

I still haven't fixed it yet tho.

Dic :(

Just had the heaters on for an hour in the car and there seems to be no lost of coolant or hot air. Any ideas guys

It sounds like your door membranes, windscreen or a leak through the blower intake like you mentioned. I had a curious prob where a small bit of sealent on a new screen had missed under the scuttle panel allowing water to track along the bottom of the thin plastic cover over the leaf guard and drip straight down through the blower aperture and off the motor casing. Anywhere else and i'd not have had a wet interior! :(

Get a hose on it, you made need a lot of water to make it obvious if it's a small leak. It all adds up!

Recent heavy rain coupled with strong winds is most likely culprit IMO if your heater is OK.

My daughter's Golf 4 got a paddling pool at the driver's floor after such weather (and being parked on a slope).

Just had the heaters on for an hour in the car and there seems to be no lost of coolant or hot air. Any ideas guys

Most likely the foliage cover.... there is a very good guide on how to change the seal in the WIKI.... pretty handy job..... once you have it done you are best off lifting the carpets, taking out the sound proofing and drying out the car and carpets

Take the passenger seat out as per the guide on the WIKI (5 min job max), and then it is just a matter of removing the sill trims and lifting the carpet enough to get the sound proofing to slide out..... it is going to be in a pretty rotten state and may tear apart.. so just be gentle with it.

Can't believe I didn't see this thread, Ive just posted an almost exact problem. I was wondering if a car cover would prove your heater matrix is leaking, ie no rainwater could get in and therefore it would be the matrix losing coolant?

Taste a little of the liquid on the tip of your tongue then quickly spit!

Coolant tastes sweetish (spit - don't swallow :lol: - stuff is more toxic than poor Britney!)

Rainwater tastes a lot like er..........................................................water.

Ive just made a post on my similar thread. Ive got some water coming in under the plastic cowling beneath the glovebox which could be the air intake seal perished. Have a look on yours.

Hi,

Just replaced my matrix. Started noticing it when water level started to drop and finally steam and coolant smells started to come through the instrument panel. Rear carpet got soaked, I know it's from the matrix because of the filmy coolant solution. Sorted now but expensive, parts Ok'ish just the labour to take the whole dashboard off etc.