Sign in to follow this  
Rpmayne

Used disks and pads

I think I have managed to warp the front disks on my VR6. Get a faint squeak when driving, squeal when braking moderately which turns into judder through the stearing when braking hard.

My question is can I just get the disks skimmed (only 6months old) and then use the same pads, or will they also be deformed from the disks. Can they be reconditioned, crudely using fine sand paper or something? I can get the disks skimmed for nothing, know new pads would probably be best but as usual the pennies are abit tight.

Ta

Without inspecting the pads, it's fairly difficult to comment on their condition. I would expect them to be okay - provided that there is still plenty of lining left.

Discs can be skimmed, but if they're warped it will depend entirely on their condition & degree of warping.

Warping is usually caused by overheating - replace them with drilled versions, helps heat dissipation. Also check your brake cooling ducts.

Mine does exactly the same except for the sqeal when braking moderately (slight squeak just disappears). It seems to me that the judder is only present when the brakes warm up (it takes longer to start juddering when it's cold and wet)

I'm pretty sure it is only my drivers side front that causes the prob. The guy who had the car before me said the brakes and disks had been done in the last 6 months (which appears to be the case). This (and looking through the forum) has led me to think (hope) that the hub may not have been cleaned properly before the new disk went on.

Or is it 'once warped, always warped'...

I'd love to hear if there is a cheaper solution than just replacing the whole lot (again).

I could be wrong but I dont think vrs have cooling ducts. But hey once I was wrong before......1987 it was, just before christmas................. :sleeping:

All Corrados have brake cooling ducts. G60's share the same braking system as the VR6's. The ducts feed air directly from the front bumper onto the brakes. You should be able to see the ducts if you look inside the front of the wheelarch. Your outside temp sensor will be fitted into one of these ducts (can't remember which side).

If the front discs have been warped by excess heat then they will be damaged & require replacement.

After hard driving, when the brakes can get really hot, continue driving around for a while to cool the discs down otherwise your new ones will also warp.

All Corrados have brake cooling ducts. G60's share the same braking system as the VR6's. The ducts feed air directly from the front bumper onto the brakes. You should be able to see the ducts if you look inside the front of the wheelarch. Your outside temp sensor will be fitted into one of these ducts (can't remember which side).

Erm, sorry stevemac, but that's not right... Not all 'rados had brake ducts... My G60 didn't and most late G60s with the face lifted front and VR6s tended not to have them, although a few were fitted with them from the factory... It seems to depend on the mood of the factory workers on the late 'rados... :? :lol:

There's a blanking panel on the drivers side (where the air temp sensor is) and the normal duct to the intercooler on the passenger side on my car, however the inner wheel arch liner has the markings for where to cut out for the brake ducts but they weren't cut out at the factory.... :? Mine are now cut out thanks to my Dremel! :lol: 8)

Also, brake disk warping is a myth... :? It's actually caused by a reaction between a hot disk and the pad cooling that changes the chemical compound of the disk to become harder in one area that causes the "warping"... :shock:

Read this for better details, it may change your driving habits too! http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/war ... s_myth.htm

VR6 brakes are different to G60 ones. VRs have a bigger Master cylinder and no cooling ducts.

Henny is right about warping. Most of the time discs warp when people hold the car at traffic lights with the foot brake. The pad absorbs the heat causing localised cooling, and thus warps the disc. That's only really a problem when the disc is wearing thin though.

Kev

Rpmayne, what make of disc's and pads are you using? - If the discs are only 6 months old take them back and maybe try a different brand (Ate and Pagid are recomended), Pads should be ok if there not very worn and the wear is even, give them a sand before putting them back on...

Then again, if the pads are shiny all over and you think the compound being to hard has maybe damaged the disks, get some new ones anyway, I recomend Pagid Fast roaders (fronts for VR6/G60 are about £20 from GSF)

They dont fit because of the wider engine. probably could have been redesigned though.

Theres a bit on the american club site about how to mod the ducts to fit the vr.

Seems odd of VW really - why scrap the brake ducts for the VR?

I read somewhere that VW wanted to promote the VR6 as a tourer rather than a street legal racer which was pretty much how they promoted the G60.... "Keep up with the Porsches, not with the Joneses" was the slogan used on a G60 promo poster I've got. :roll: :?

Brake ducts were, aparently, seen as too much of a link to a race car, so they scrapped them... :shock: :?

Bit of a pants idea scrapping them, if you ask me... :?

*EDIT* although the post above seems more likely! :roll: :lol:

I feel really small now... :oops: :oops:

My '92 G60 is one of the later types - VR6 style bonnet, etc and has the cooling ducts fitted from the factory. Other Corrados which I've looked at also had these ducts fitted although I can't specifically remember which engine was fitted.

kevhaywire - I was refering mainly to the discs & pads, although I wasn't aware that the master cylinders were different.

Supercharged, I got the garage I bought the car from to fit new disks and pads all round before I bought it. They fitted Lockheed parts which I thought were standard fitment and pretty good.