Sign in to follow this  
dutchboy

Climatronic Retro fit

done one but can't find anything. really don't know where to look. i wanna do it cos i'm sick of my heater controls breaking!!!!!

And a monumental task IIRC

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sat at my desk this morning typing a reply to the PM, even that's monumental!

Just looking at the OBD2 setup bigpants is selling at the moment and really wanting to do the conversion but knowing that I'd have to redo all the Climatronic wiring. Do I really need that much agro???

It can be done. Its much easier if you have a LHD Corrado, as the parts swap with a LHD Golf III is pretty straightforward in that version of the car-

- If you do, then start with a wrecked Golf III that has climatronic with an unblemished behind-the-dash, rip out the centre air box, complete with its loom, the sensors, and control relays. Once the backroom stuff has been done, which takes a long weekend, in small steps to do, you need to get an alternative truly rectangular climatronic head to use instead of the curvy Golf III one.

- If you have RHD, its pretty much the same job, make sure its a RHD Golf III but make sure you label everything as you take it off the old car. things route differently between the two cars. Make sure that its a late Golf III as the early ones had a hybrid of vacuum controls and electric controls.

- The Passat main airbox is not the same, dont even try to scavenge it if you have a RHD car. if yours is LHD, it can be done after a lot of messing and modification.

You also need to locate the light and temp sensors which are stuck at various points on the dash, and behind the airvents, and bring those across.

It is a lot of work. Its been done 4 times that I know of, but nobody, sadly nobody has done it by leaving a step by step photographed record. If you do get anybody to document it, do let me know.

The Passat main airbox is not the same, dont even try to scavenge it if you have a RHD car.

I used everything from a 96 Passat VR6 and it is all fitted and working, the main airbox bolted into the car easily picking up all three orignal mounting holes in the bulkhead, a fourth hole had to be drilled along with cutting a much larger hole for the main piping manifold to come through which sits just below the ABS pump.

Make sure that its a late Golf III as the early ones had a hybrid of vacuum controls and electric controls.

That's what I have, it all works fine and I also use the vacuum reservoir for the Schrick.

..... you need to get an alternative truly rectangular climatronic head to use instead of the curvy Golf III one.

This really is where the Passat kit comes into it's own, a small amount of trimming and the face plate fits straight into the dash, the control box slotted directly into the hole left by the original heater controls.

I only have a couple of photos of the install as I lost my hard drive last year and with it a lot of the original ones I'd taken during the installation. These two were posted at the time but show how things fit in the car. I would never say that it was an easy job, but it's not difficult there's just a lot of it, just take it step by step like any other job.

I'm genuinely amazed. What was the year of the passat, and your 'rado? I actually tried this with a 95 Passat on my 94 'rado, and had to give up. The centre box was simply not transferrable, the controls fouled the tunnel. I had to give up.

I'm genuinely amazed. What was the year of the passat, and your 'rado? I actually tried this with a 95 Passat on my 94 'rado, and had to give up. The centre box was simply not transferrable, the controls fouled the tunnel. I had to give up.

95 Rado, 96 Passat although many of the parts were date stamped 95. Don't imagine the parts would be any different on yours as it costs a mint for a manufacturer to re-tool to change stuff.

The main centre box was the easiest part, I took all the ducts off both boxes and swapped the Corrado ones to the Passat box then it all dropped into place and lined up, only the dash centre vent was different as it has an actuated flap in it, had to graft that into the Corrado duct which was a bit of a ball ache!

the SEAT leon climatronic panel is also a straight swap for the passat or golf panel, all the connectors should be the same and all the pipework and air box are a straight fit apart from one small bit of plastic that can be cut off, I decided against fitting the air con gubbins as its a lot more work as i havn't got aircon to start with, I cant run the compressor with the toothed belt kit and even without the aircon the fans are much more powerfull than standard and it still controls the heat thermostatically and adds the recirculating feature (handy for driving past the local abbetoir and sewerage farm).

how much stuff is in your dash :shock:

not enough :lol:

pioneer avx-7300 screen

SEAT climatronic panel

Pioneer DEH-P8400MP headunit

Snooper S6R NEO GPS, Laser/radar detector

Sony ericsson HCB-30 bluetooth handsfree

Pioneer AVIC-9DVD-II DVD and navigation

Playstation extension sockets

Dash illumination colour selector switch

Headlight height adjustment

and a little red button but im not saying what thats for :evil:

this is on my next thing to do list. need to find out as much as possible. So any hints and tips would be great. Need to find the correct seat, can anyone tell me what year and if possible models will allow for the seat to corrado climatronic conversion?