joby

Bigger brakes option 1.8 16v

As im on a mission replacing all the bushes underneath the corrado I was thinking while everything was stripped why not sort the puny brakes on the 1.8 16v with VR6 items and was wondering what was involved? Is it just a matter of carriers, calipers and discs or should you replace the master cylinder too! Im replacing the rears (standard) at the moment along with the rear Axle bushes which i completed yesterday :D Cheers All !

Is it just a matter of carriers, calipers and discs

that should do it, you can get away with the narrower 16v calipers but pads may need trimming down when pads and discs are new as the G60 280mm discs are slightly thicker as are g60 pads and so the caliper itself is wider.

Mk3 golf GTI 280mm calipers and carriers will do too, just not the later 288mm ones as you can't get 288mm 4 stud discs.

G60s are what you need not VRs.....VRs are 5 stud and you'll need 4, unless you're changing hubs as well?

The VR6 and G60 calipers and carriers are the same items, it's just different disks you need.

Cheers Toad, thats what i meant....had the word disks in my head it just didn't make it onto the keyboard!

Ok So its G60 or VR6 Carriers and callipers and then 280 mm discs ! But not 288 cos they dont do them in four stud :) Ok Thanks everyone....

Ok So its G60 or VR6 Carriers and callipers and then 280 mm discs ! But not 288 cos they dont do them in four stud :) Ok Thanks everyone....

yeah, avoid any calipers and carriers (from a mk3 golf) that are marked 'ATE' - these are the 288mm ones and a totally different type.

You need Girling ones from a pre 95 mk3 golf GTI 8v, 16v or VR. or passat 2.0 16v(1994-6) or passat VR6

yeah, avoid any calipers and carriers (from a mk3 golf) that are marked 'ATE' - these are the 288mm ones and a totally different type.

You need Girling ones from a pre 95 mk3 golf GTI 8v, 16v or VR. or passat 2.0 16v(1994-6) or passat VR6

I recently bought a set of G60 Calipers and Carriers which are made by Lucas. Now I was told this was ok so long as they are Lucas or Girling and stamped with with a 54. Well turns out when I had a wheel off tonight the Caliper and Carriers that are on the car are Girling ones stamped with a 54 :nuts: The discs are definately 256mm as I offered up the 280mm ones and they are noticeably larger. Is it possible the calipers and carriers have already been upgraded but the old owner left the the smaller disk on, I can't see how the 280mm items would fit. Any suggestions anyone?

No mate, When i got my secondhand 280mm calipers and carriers i thought the same, same 54 on them they looked identical but when you take them off the diference is clear :) the G60 caliper is wider and the carrier bigger..

Cheers for that mate, thought they look slightly different, but thought it might have just been the different makes. :salute:

I bought what I thought was a set of 280 front calipers and carriers .... when i took my wheels off to install them they looked exactly the same as what was there.. Lucas 54 marked and I took the pads out of both and offered them against each other....exactly the same size

So I put the pads back in and decided I was ripped off by seller

I have a 2.0 8v with 256 size fronts in place

I am now thinking of putting on the double piston Girling 60's and researching the correct master cylinder size....any suggestions

Bit of a thread resurrection :) not sure on what calipers you have bought. I have a set of 280 calipers and carriers off my vr6 when I upgraded to 312s :)

thanks for the offer... i think they are 5 stud bolt pattern though.......I am rather keen on the Audi S2 double pot upgrade and will continue researching them

cheers

Rob

I bought what I thought was a set of 280 front calipers and carriers .... when i took my wheels off to install them they looked exactly the same as what was there.. Lucas 54 marked and I took the pads out of both and offered them against each other....exactly the same size

So I put the pads back in and decided I was ripped off by seller

I have a 2.0 8v with 256 size fronts in place

I am now thinking of putting on the double piston Girling 60's and researching the correct master cylinder size....any suggestions

G60 pads are the same size, just a little thicker and the calipers a little wider in the jaws, the only obvious difference is the greater offset of the g60 carriers for the 280 discs.

I had the twin pot calipers on my old valver with G60 discs. They are a very good upgrade brakes were very responsive. Only drawback I found was the pads were £65

Something to consider: New discs, pads, hoses and fluid will give you surprisingly good brakes, regardless of size. If you do track days, bigger discs will be more fade resistant but that's it.

I mention this as the most surprisingly good-feeling brakes on any of the 5 Corrados I've owned resulted from fitting new genuine parts to one of the G60s.

This despite running 288mm and 312mm set ups on a VR6, and a set of Ibiza Brembos on the 16v (which were mind blowing when warm...).

---------- Post added at 7:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 7:50 PM ----------

Something to consider: New discs, pads, hoses and fluid will give you surprisingly good brakes, regardless of size. If you do track days, bigger discs will be more fade resistant but that's it.

I mention this as the most surprisingly good-feeling brakes on any of the 5 Corrados I've owned resulted from fitting new genuine parts to one of the G60s.

This despite running 288mm and 312mm set ups on a VR6, and a set of Ibiza Brembos on the 16v (which were mind blowing when warm...).