Sign in to follow this  
MonkeyVR6

Pipercross VR6 Induction kit

Well, as promised I've now fitted the Pipercross VR6 induction kit to my car and heres my finding. It looked the best bet for £70 after the bits and pieces I read.

So the box arrived with fairly simple, yet vague fitting instuctions and a 'L'-shaped bracket to hold the filter up and the actual filter itself with some cleaning oil.

Removing the old air box is a straight forward affair, and it was surprising to see how dirty the standard air filter was!

To start the bracket doesn't fit, not even bloody nearly... So thank god for Army engineers, I get the bracket holes filled and drilled to make them longer is seemingly all directions, then bend the bracket out a bit so its at a more obtuse angle.

So finally after a bit of heath robinson with the bracket fitting it to the suspension strut thing, its then pretty simple to attach the actual filter to the existing 'arm' that was originally attached to the standard air box.

Its still not the best fit, so with a loss of patience I find the biggest cable tie I can find and wrap it round the bracket and the metal arm of the filter - its now going nowhere.

As soon as you drive the car the noise is instantly noticeable, especially at when you hit the loud pedal hard. It can be a bit annoying if you're constantly accelerating at Autobahn speeds, but its worth it, it gives the car a real presence.

Now, the question of it actually being faster...well, I'm not sure it is really. It feels a bit more responsive and feels faster, but I doubt it really is, but thats not really the point of fitting it I suppose if I'm honest, I just wanted a bit of induction noise.

001.jpg

I have always found you loose top end power/speed with those type of filters as there is no ramair affect at speeds.

But it all for the one thing all VR6 owners do it for......the PPPPHHHHOOOOOWWWWWRRRRRRRR !!!!!!

I have no idea what ramair effect is?!

...but I do know that I can quie happily, and do often, achieve a GPS 147mph. :o

on private roads of course :lol: Ramair is air being forced into the airbox at speed causing positive air pressure,kind of like turbo/supercharged but in a tiny way ! :lol: