Sign in to follow this  
supercoupe

Supercharging VR6 fast enough???

Hey...

Basically after peoples opinion on supercharging a VR6. Does it make it alot faster !!?? I am in the US at the mo and can pick up the Vortech charger for about 2000 quid is that alot cheaper than the UK?? Have a G60 as well about (200bhp) but want faster hence thinking about the supercharged VR6. any info would be appreciated....

Cheers

1.8T young Lambert... Check out the hall of fame in PVW mag, the fastest corrado in there (for the time being anyway) had a supercharger on his VR6 and off the top of my head it did 0-60 in 5.96sec, so judge that for yourself.

(Mate can you look into some 440 injectors for the 1.8T out there in the states? I'll e-mail you tomorrow with some more bits i'm after..)

My old 6 speed mk2 could beat any time set by any supercharged VR6 I've ever seen set in this country.

If you do't intend to keep the car for long, it's a good mod to give a bit of temporary poke, which you can them remove before you sell the car. but if it's going to be a long term thing, then do some research, and you'll see they aren't too reliable.

Yes it is quite a bit faster than standard and a mod I would recommend. My z-eng kit makes 274hp on 6 psi and I've done 20k miles on the charger without any problems. More power and cheaper than improving the breathing with head work, a vsr, cams etc.

Is it £2000 for a vortech kit? If so, it is cheaper than the UK price (for the vf-eng kit) but the z-kit is now retailing for £2k.

Yes, I was surprised too especially as the rest of the engine is standard. The car has done 115k miles. As a comparison, Mark's (anorak) car produced 256hp with the same kit (90k miles).

Perhaps. Not sure on reliability, fuel economy etc. Turbo installation would cost more because of the extra plumbing, head needs to come off, lower compression, racing bolts, gasket etc. whilst the supercharger bolts straight on without internal mods- Z-kit doesn't even have oil lines.

Anyone know if it is possible to use a 2nd hand charger from another car already on the market. Mercedes have a 2.0L supercharged coupe out there now. I'm sure if Mercedes use it in their production cars then, its probably bullet proof.

Just thinking because maybe we could pick one up from a scrap yard

To fit a merc (eaton) charger would be a bit of a pain. The problem is a lack of space-its a large rectangular unit, not as compact as a centrifugal supercharger which fits conveniently in place of the standard airbox. It has been done on a vr6 by relocating the throttle body and using some complicated brackets and and very long alternator belt. A better location would be in place of the alternator and relocate the alternator. It's also been transplanted into g60s. Positive-displacement blowers like the eaton don't flow well at high revs and centrifugal blowers are more efficient. Mercs use them because they fit in the middle of the V as well as for their reliability.

Cheers for the replys...

I reaserched onto turbo kits and they weigh in at about 3000 quid and they say 330Bhp with standard internals. What you guys reckon sounds a bit too much for the standard internals to handle??? Another consern is bloody traction, How do you reckon the power would go down?

Ps if anybody is after soom custom carbon fibre bits for corrado's let me know? if there is enough demand for a certain parts i will proberly be able to produce them for a good price>> The first part i will be building is the rear number plate surround they will look bad!

cheers

supercoupe, sounds like a good idea,i know quite a few people would be after a scuttle panel cover

Yeah definitely, count me in. VW should have been reprimanded for allowing a £21000 Coupe to leave the factory with exposed wiper mechanism/motor and ECU.

Kev

I've heard that the turbo is very hard on older engines, probably over 100k, and really doesn't get complete traction until third gear! Plus you've got turbo lag. I think the supercharger would be the way to go, but a VR6T does sound awfully good!

Will

I think its worth spending the extra money on a turbo conversion :D rather than a supercharger :? . Seeing as your VR6 has only done 40k the internals should be up to it.

LOTS of extra money! Depends how far you want to take it. Stealth's Turbo conversion kicked out 405lb/ft torque, which is an incredible amount by anyone's standards. More than a Noble 3.0, more than a 360 modena....but in a FWD corrado? Dicey, very dicey.

From stealth's site:-

Corrado VR6 Turbo

The inherent strength of the VR6 motor makes it an ideal basis for a hard charging project car. Continuing our partnership with EIP Tuning USA, a full scale turbo conversion doubled the output of the 6 pot, making this Corrado a devastating performer.

2.9 12v VR6 - - compression ratio lowered to 9:1 - - Wills rings - - Race Ware head studs - - Garrett T4 turbo with integral wastegate - - Turbonetics rising rate fuel regulator - - G-Reddy blow off valve - - EIP triple nozzle fuel injectors - -additional in line fuel pump - - Setrab oil cooler - - Spearco intercooler - - 2.5" Jetex exhaust system retaining catalytic convertor - - re-mapped ECU

370bhp with 405lb/ft - adjustable boost 10-15psi

Stealth / Gemini 6 speed gearbox - - Quaife limited slip diff - - Centreforce dual friction clutch - - steel driveshafts - - nitrided EM19 cages in CV joints - - steel front drive flanges

K

I'd prefer to turbo a 24V VR6 to be honest. It's a better engine than the 12V.

Yeah Kev but we don't have them!

I love the huge torque spread of mine!

Chris