Sign in to follow this  
monVR6

VR6 Handling and suspension

Hi all

Since my last post about suspension problems, I have had new shocks fitted and all the top mounts done at the same time. This was done at my local tyre/suspension centre (not Kwik-Fit) who have always been good, but this has not solved the problem. They are saying they can replace the shockers with different units and I plan to get Boge gas shocks from GSF. I've heard talk of "turbo shocks" are there two version then - the turbo and the standard?

Anyway - I also plan to get the bushes replaced at the same time and hopefully this will tidy up the handling, but just to ensure it is right this time, these are the problems I'm having - will my suspension plans solve this or is there something more sinister - perhaps with the steering going on ?

When I hit a bump - (large or small) - this seems to affect the direction.

Often the steering goes light as if the tyres are slipping when they actually aren't.

Car feels understeery

The steering seems detached and there seems to be a bit of play around the straight-ahead.

The car wanders quite a bit - even at 70mph on the motorway.

Car seems to pull to one side under heavy braking.

Apologies for the lengthy note, but I just want to get this right !

Do you get any knocking?

Check the wishbone bolts, I've had one come loose before.

What have they set your geometry to? if they can't tell you, get them to measure it. You want figures.

It sounds exactly like the tracking is fubar.

You might notice uneven tyre wear on the fronts - if so, it's definitely the tracking.

It could also be engine mounts - if the engine is bouncing around that'll definitely hamper your steering accuracy.

I'm suffering similar problems at the moment, and it's actually BOTH these things that are causing them.

HTH.

Matt.

Could be lots of things causing this... My first question would be to do with suspension set ups, have you had the tracking set up properly INCLUDING castor/camber? This will make a hell of a difference if it's wrong. :?

Firstly, I'd get the suspension bushes checked out... If you've got dead bushes (especially in the wishbones) then this would pretty much give the symptoms you've described above too... then if the bushes proove to be OK, then get the tracking sorted properly... (don't do it the other way around 'cos once you've changed the bushes you'll need the tracking setting up again! :roll: )

Henny, not wishing to p1ss on your bonfire, but I would personally recommend doing the tracking first. This is a cheap, easy adjustment, unlike replacing the wishbones or their bushes...!

Do the cheap stuff first!! :)

Henny, not wishing to p1ss on your bonfire, but I would personally recommend doing the tracking first. This is a cheap, easy adjustment, unlike replacing the wishbones or their bushes...!

Do the cheap stuff first!! :)

I agree with doing the cheap stuff first dr_mat, but I said to get the CHECKED first! It should be very cheap for a garage to CHECK them, and as I also said, there's no point in spending money on getting the tracking all set up to find out that the bushes are dead and need replacing and then having to get the tracking done AGAIN... :roll:

Also, one I just thought of, check your tyre pressures! As daft and simple as that sounds, it can make one hell of a difference to the way a car handles! Even if you've only got one tyre that's low/high it'll make itself known through the handling... :?

Ok, sorry... I misread.. :(

Must get my glasses checked!! :)

:roll: :wink: 8)

Thanks for the thoughts - sounds like I'm on the right track and it doesn't sound like a steering problem (phew!!!). The toe, camber, caster and tracking have all been set up within tolerance, so it looks like I will be re-checking and then going down the bush route. As I plan to get the garage to put stiffer shocks on, the set up whould be done again anyway. Are Boge gas shocks the best way to go once this is done or should I uprate further despite wanting to keep the standard springs ?