Sign in to follow this  
Anton Sobriquet

MSD 8224 coilpack mod for VR6

I know a few members have upgraded their stock coils with MSD 8224s. I've been reading up over at VW Vortex and in The Forced Induction VR6 thread but still can't work out whether I'll need to fit a ballast resistor or not. If so, which one and where do I get it? Later posts at Vortex say you don't need one, other than to verify the ICM is good, and it can be removed afterwards. Would anyone who has completed the mod let me know, please - KADVR6? cheesewire?

Thanks in advance.

I would personally only use the MSDs with a standalone, or MSD's DIS4 controller.

TBH I found there was little difference between the MSDs and stock coilpack in terms of performance.

The yanks are doing that mod because they're tight fisted and don't like paying for parts, but as is often the case 90% of the time, cut costs now, pay for it later. They keep blowing ICMs because they don't understand how the ECU drives the coils and therefore haven't fully reverse engineered a reliable solution yet.

The stock pack can ignite 40 psi of boost, so I can't see the need tbh. There are slight improvments in idle and part throttle quality with the MSDs, but it's not long lasting.

Have a look at the cheaper Accel 6 in 1 pack. I think that is a lot more reliable than the MSDs, and still around 40KV output.

Thanks. Disappointed to hear that, thought I was on to something there.......... Kept finding posts extolling the MSD coils' virtues over standard. My problem is an occasional non-start and I thought this might be a cure and upgrade combined.

There's nothing on Accel available at Vortex - the original thread(s) on the coilpack mod has been closed. I've now found your link to VW Fixx and am checking there.

OK. Found the Accel coils are just a substitute for the MSD coils. I still don't know whether I'd need to use a ballast resistor, though, but suspect I would, in whch case there'd be no real advantage over standard.

Has anyone here tried the MSD or Accel coils with MSD's DIS4 controller? I'd be interested in giving it a go but would need help wiring everything up, I think.