Sign in to follow this  
RIMnCHOP

MISSFIRE ISSUES

HELLO PEOPLE

ive just found out that my vr is having missfire problems and was wondering what sort of things are causing this and how much theese things cost to put right. :( :?

any help or advice much appreciated

8) cheers 8)

If it has a coilpack and you have had/are having wet or damp weather, that can be the culprit.

Look up coilpack in "search" and you will find plenty about that.

typical sign of a coilpack issue is it misfiring when underload, i.e: up hill etc

or when wet.

Apparently the best way to show a coilpack problem is the pop the bonnet when its dark and spray water from a spray bottle arround. if you see any arcing from the coilpack or the leads theres the culprit.

If that doesn't show anything then:

remove the plugs after running to see which cylinder is missing (should be wet with fuel if its missing if its wet with oil then get a compression test)

if its missing on 2 then it might be the coil pack internal breakdown (i had one go like this on my previous VR and it didnt show with the above test)

it could be a faulty injector - I had this prob on my current VR, plug came out covered in fuel

Worst case - it could be bad compression due to ring/bore/head gasket/head wear - get a compression test done

:D CHEERS EVERY1 MUCH APPRECIATED :D

he's got back too me at the garage and it is the coil pack :(

it was due for a service anyway so surpose it was a blessing in disguise :?

well at least it isint owt major

FYI, I bought a coil pack on ebay for a Golf VR I had recently for £20 ! There was quite a few on there as these are used in Fords aswell. My missfire developed after I washed the engine .. don't think those coil packs like getting wet.