Sign in to follow this  
J a m e s

Tinting lights.

maybe off some help.

Spray - Savage Light Tint Spray

What i did:

took all the lights off. 8mm bolts

sanded all the letters off with some 800grit wet and dry, can use coarser (its a damn site quicker!) then sand over the whole orange parts of the lights (top half of lights)

sand again with 800grit allover

clean the lights with a degreaser then wash with water.

mask off all the bottom half of the lights.

then use the Tint Spray (9.99) from any tarty motorshop.

spray an even coat on the lights, making sure that it is shiny, too little or too much will make it go dull.

if goes dull you will have to spray on more till shiny again.

note spray in a left to right direction, not up and down.

leave to dry, if happy with tinting put back on the car.

hope this helps.

before

before.jpg

finished result

tints.jpg

this looks well good. i take it that its weather proof, and doesnt peel off etc? Has anyone come across all red rear lenses?

you can buy the spray in red too. same stuff. i did the same to my GF's polo.

although its statting to fade. i was told (after) that 1200 grit is too fine for the tint spray.

Oooh Yes. that looks well good. and looks like it gives a nice shiny finish as well. How do they work in terms of the colour when they are lit up, and for example when you are indicating? Do they still light up orange?

Yea, do you have to put in orange bulbs?

also with the black, does the reversing light work?

they look really good, spraying a set at the moment........think I may have to add a coat of clear lacquer to get that shine though as mine are a little dull ?

Lacquer should work I reckon? any ideas as Im gonna buy some at lunch

I've got a set I'm painting too...

I've bought some red plastic spray, did try giving them a coat, don't look to bad, but think some lacquer would look sweet, although I was thinking to get some proper red tint spray....

Do they still light up orange?

Ahem... No.....

Red, but no one would notice i reckon, and as my mate used to do, say it was an import :lol:

if you use autosol metal polish on em...it makes them really shiny after it...makes em look real factory style.

The tint spray is well dodgy...i tried it on my polo, you have to be careful how many coats you give...and in some places if you haven't de-greased it properly...it'll cause a misty white patch.

Very good job james!

Lacquer should work I reckon? any ideas as Im gonna buy some at lunch

I sis my MKI taillights first, and all lacquer seemed to do was run. if you spen the time with the tint spray, which is a Red lacquer, youll have no problems. i've heard of repeorts that the clear wont stick to the tint spray anyway.

mind, you dont just de grease em, you have to sand em with wet n dry too.

And Bally

Forall the cost, just buy tint spray eh? :roll:

*ucked mine right up,they went a sorta white colour,then I rushed em......backed to the sand paper for another go i suppose!

if you use autosol metal polish on em...it makes them really shiny after it...makes em look real factory style.

The tint spray is well dodgy...i tried it on my polo, you have to be careful how many coats you give...and in some places if you haven't de-greased it properly...it'll cause a misty white patch.

Very good job james!

That the looks I'm after Sanj.. although I did like your lights... :wink:

Hey dubster82 I'll have a play with the lights and see... :wink:

Good job there James, they look 1st class 8)

Regarding what paint to use ...I was advised to the best thing to use after sanding the lights is; 1k plastic primer followed by 2k laquer with a few drops of your chosen colour mixed in. Thats how its done in 'car body shops'. The paints are not cheap but, 1 it stays on, 2 it is extremely durable & 3 its nice'n'shiny.

(...not much good to anyone working on a budget or hasn't got use of spraying facilities)

im in the process of doing mine right now. done about 4 coats, and still looks a little orange. How many did you coats did your polo need dubster82?

OK, i did them, but didnt want to overspray and get drips. instead, it looks a liitle bit dull, and matt finish. What do i do? Should i just polish whats there? or spray another few coats? cheers. Del.

Cheers Bally. Unfortunately, its been pissing it down most of the day, so just had to fit them back, in the condition they are so far. they dont look awful, just not 100% yet. will have to wait for a dry day, cos car lives outside all the time! Its a pain, cos will have to do the masking process AAALLL over again. Ah well! (the lengths we go to for our cars to look good eh!)

this looks well good. i take it that its weather proof, and doesnt peel off etc? Has anyone come across all red rear lenses?

What, like these ones I did last weekend?

I used Foliatec spray from Halfords, £12.

Here's a tip: Ignore the "Apply several thin coats" cr@p, just mask off the relevant bits, clean the area to be sprayed with Evostik Solvent (aka glue remover), then hold the cluster under a light and then apply 3 thick coats, tilting the cluster round as you do it so you can see the spray clarity as it goes on. Do it too thick and it'll run, not enough and it'll go matt.

No need for laquer (as you can see in the pics), just gently polish them with Autoglym a few days later.

K