Sign in to follow this  
Patch

Bike carriers

I got a high level one from Halfords a few years back.

It takes three bikes but holds them higher up so as not to obscure the rear number plate and lights.

It also clears the rear spoiler .

I will check in the morning to see what make it is and dig out the pics of it on my Corrado 8)

Bike carriers are strange things? I mean why not just cycle to where your gonna ride! save money, more exercise :)

You have to drive to find the good off road tracks,hence the need for a bike carrier

Was only joking mate, I'm actually looking for one myself for my Doblo van :)

Considering this myself, but stuck as to which is the best and more practical, roof bars or one attached to the tailgate?

Presume you have to remember not to put anything in the boot before you strap your tailgate rack on?

my bike rack is a thule roof mounted system. i love it. i pieced it together through ebay and some local ski shops in my town. the hardest part was finding the thule fit kit so the rack would sit properly on the roof of the car. here are a few pics. i tend to use it a lot in the warmer months, but mostly i really like the look of it.

DSC02201.jpg

outfront003.jpg

car002.jpg

dayafter.jpg

how many bikers we got on here, i used to love my little trips on the bike but its been neglected, anyone up for a bit of cross country :lol:

I'm debating with myself about this too - roof or boot. Both will probably damage the paintwork a bit. When I think about the roof idea - doesn't you get loads of stone chips all over the road from dirt/stones/etc dropping off the attached bike onto the car?

I'm debating with myself about this too - roof or boot. Both will probably damage the paintwork a bit. When I think about the roof idea - doesn't you get loads of stone chips all over the road from dirt/stones/etc dropping off the attached bike onto the car?

I occasionally run a set of Thule bars and bike carriers on my Mark 2 and it's a pretty good system. We did three of the 24-hour mountain bike events last year, which meant carrying three bikes, food and camping gear for the weekend, plus tools, spares etc. Bikes are good and secure - I stick a ratcheted strap over them as well for extra peace of mind - and it leaves the rear of the car clear, so no arseing around with light boards and not being able to open the boot etc. Best rear racks by reputation are the tow-ball ones which aren't strapped onto your bodywork - the thought of that just makes me cringe inwardly...

Downsides are that it does hit your fuel consumption on long trips, the bikes get cold, wet and well salted in winter, and taking the actual carriers on and off is a bit of a pain. Best answer, if you have the space, is to store the bars and carriers as a bolted together unit, then just fit them as one. Putting bikes on and off is quick and easy and the cheaper Thule bike carriers are fine and stable thought the top-end ones are nicer and lockable, then again the locks are shite, so don't rely on them...

I've never had any problems with stuff dropping off the bikes onto the roof, you could always use a Dirtworker first - small, car-powered jet washer - if that really bothers you.

To be honest, I only use the carriers if I have to. Given that weI've got expensive, top-end bikes which are worth more than the Golf, I'd rather stick some plastic sheeting in the back with the seats down and carry them inside. Better fuel economy, better security, less fear of £5K' or so of bike being written off by some dozy twod rear-ending you :?

I don't really use the 'rado for bike carrying duties but based on my Mark 2 experience, I'd be fairly happy using Thule or similar bars if I had to.

ps: that's my race mascot in my avatar btw. You can just about make out that it's strapped to set of Easton Monkey Bars. The eyes have been replaced with bright red LEDs for night-time use :)

we stock quite a bit of the Thule range (A1 Motorstores), and according to our rep, turning up so the ski slopes with a Thule is like turning upto a dinner-dance in a posh tux with a rolex on :D - i still havent got one yet cause i got nowt to carry :p but hey ho, they aint the cheapest but they are one of the best :)

Will a mountain bike fit in the rear of a Corrado with the seats down?

Sorry, I'm a lazy git and don't want to take out the amp, sub box, cd changer, tools, spares and then find it wouldn't fit! :D

Will a mountain bike fit in the rear of a Corrado with the seats down?

Sorry, I'm a lazy git and don't want to take out the amp, sub box, cd changer, tools, spares and then find it wouldn't fit! :D

Yes, but you'll have to take both wheels off the bike.

Just come back from 2 days riding White's Level, Penydd and The Wall in Afan Valley. Awesome 8) I went in my mate's Excort van but I'd always try to get my bike in the body of the car. My old Orange Patriot got into the body of my Ford Puma so the 'Rado should be way big enough to accomodate my gorgeous lovely brand new Santa Crus Heckler :notworthy: :luvlove:

I won a Thrule roof rack for £31 on ebay,bargin.Just need to get some bike attatchments and i'm on my way :D

I won a Thrule roof rack for £31 on ebay,bargin.Just need to get some bike attatchments and i'm on my way :D

The base level Thule bike carriers are fine btw, the really expensive ones with the single-arm clamp are quite a neat design, but I found the cheaper ones fine and very stable. Prepare to see your fuel consumption figures drop markedly though...