Sign in to follow this  
timg60

German Plate Crackdown !!!

Oh bugger.

Well according to the friendly gentleman who stopped my wife on the way into work this morning. Today marks the start of a police crackdown on illigal plates, £30 lighter and a warning that if she is stopped agian within 30 days the plates and reg will be consficated.. :( :(

I am not flavour of the month eithyer as my old tell them you forgot to take them off and show them the other plates in the boot did not work either :( :(

Anyone know where to get some decent looking british plates from :D

Tim

Your a week behind! "Operation Larch" started last weekend!

Mainly aimed at people dodging Tax/hooky number plates that avoid the APNR cameras etc...

I wonder if they will stop the "Eastern Europen registered" RHD cars in east London...

Just get a set of good old UK plastic ones made up and wait them out.. something will soon come up to distract them away from this..

Hey we are in cornwall. The copper said it started today so prob has only just filtered past the tamar :lol:

Its a country wide thing that only started yesterday in Kent too, personally i dont display German plates on any of my cars! im British!!........but i do have a set of "Dubmeister" pressed metal plates on my cabriolet, AND they have Brithsh font letters!, its an option on their plate order form, and they are makers marked and reflective, i never have any problems with them.

The other thing that the DVLA can do is withdraw your reg from use, especially if its a "personalised" one you have altered, all this ANPR and safety cameras started off as an anti terrorist and crime prevention initiative, it seems its now being used as a beating stick for revenue.....as usual

Now this hacks me off a bit.

The German Style plates clearly show the letters and numbers in a correct manner which can be seen by the naked eye.

Whereas some t*sser that carefully repositions the mounting screw on his reg plate to make a different letter or number is clearly breaking the law, as the plate can be misread by both camera's and the naked eye!

Surely this is more a case of the policeforce updating their recognition software? Otherwise how do they do this around Europe? :?

The APNR doesn't recognise "European" fonts... hence the crackdown.. apparently as stated to prevent Crime/Terrorism... and nothing to do what so ever with any possible taxation on mileage etc.. "oh no siree bob Jim no"....

I'm off to order some pressed Uk font "no band" plates from Dubmeister.. have already lost one front plate to some careless twat in the station carpark (hit it twice!), and would have lost another a week after fitting the pressed "D" ones..

Now all we need to do is sort some-one who will supply "retro" uk dealer plates...

I wonder how the guy in the Supra who went past me on the M25 a few nights ago with "proper" Jap plates will get on... now there's a thought, they're rhd... or S/african, Austrailian, New Zealand plates....

If they don't recognise non-UK plates and are aimed and preventing terrorism, (cough, splutter, bullsh*t, cough), then instead of international terrorists flying into the country, all they need to do is drive here? :shock:

If they don't recognise non-UK plates and are aimed and preventing terrorism, (cough, splutter, bullsh*t, cough), then instead of international terrorists flying into the country, all they need to do is drive here? :shock:

Shhhh.. they'll hear you.. :lol:

And another eason to keep D-plates here in London.. Ladies and gentlemen we give you the LEZ

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/lez/default.aspx

Can't see this just being restricted to Busses, Lorries and Vans.

See this is what has hacked me off. My plates are the british font, Spacing, colouring and are reflective etc. And were bought as pressed metal uk style plates.

So when I go to pay the fine I am going to take them with me and ask exactly what the problem is...........

See this is what has hacked me off. My plates are the british font, Spacing, colouring and are reflective etc. And were bought as pressed metal uk style plates.

So when I go to pay the fine I am going to take them with me and ask exactly what the problem is...........

Tim if they are the ones in your build thread.. they aren't UK font (the 9 has a gap) plus the used of Stad/emissions stickers is frowned on too... (I'm running D band, German font and stikies, I'm just missing the hyphon to get a full house).

So if they are those they'll probably take them off you if you walk into the station brandishing them!

Count yourself lucky, a forum member had his confiscated and had to go get them from the not-so-local cop shop once he'd paid his fine..

I hate the crappy british plates...........................

Anyone checked to see if the metal ones from the plateman are acceptable as long as they are gb etc............

Hiya Tim, long time no see! How's tricks? hope married life is treating you well mate!

As for the plates, I actually prefer the UK ones with the GB band 8) - I think they look pretty smart.

DSC01612.jpg

DSC01611.jpg

Alright fella.

Yup married life is good. I am living in illogan near portreath now. So will have to get up to say hello soon. All has just been a bit hetic.

Will have to get some new plates. Just hate the ones with the garage names etc on the bottom.

Oh well. Have got away with it for 2 years, Just sods law sue was driving to work in her...... :shock:

Nice, we looked at a couple of places in Illogan, nice bit of coast around there - we'll have to pop down and see you guys sometime, it's less of a trek than Hayle! 8)

As for the plates, I get mine from RKE for about £15 - seems a bugger to have to pay them for the pleasure of advertising their business :lol: :wink:

And an old one for luck..

IM000315.jpg

my plates are identical to the ones in the above photo except they display a 'D' not 'GB'...so is this illegal? or is it the font used for the reg that is illegal?

cheers

There's only one thing in that photo that's illegal, and it aint the plates :lol:

*edit* - actually, looking again - those plates would be illegal nowadays as they're not showing the name of the garage that sold them to me.

To be honest I haven't got a clue where the law stands, but as far as I know you now have to be showing 100% correct plates, so I suppose having the 'D' band would make them technicaly illegal? :o

had a butchers on the dvla site and it dosnt say anywhere that i can see that you have to have a garage name on it and says that the euro sign etc is optional.

Its just the font spacing and sizing they are looking at.

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/leaflets/v796.pdf

So hopefully I should be able to order some plain plates from here.............

http://www.demonplates.com/basket.php

Anyone know different?

Tim

I used demonplates - their service is great.

LEZ - I wonder how long before the Corrado falls under the LEZ restrictions. A charged VR can't be that low on emissions... Thoughts?

Tim, pop up a photo of your plates and we'lllet you know.

My understanding (after a recent MOT) is:

The uk font is a certain size etc.. no breaks in the Letters or numbers... (unlike on German font 9's or 0's)

they have to be a single shade of black on a reflective back ground (white front/yellow back)

As far as banding, if they are banded they will have to have either a GB or EU on it...

so if you have uk-font and a "D" band that's why they pulled you.

And legally all new plates (made since sometime last year) have to have the suppliers name and postcode on clear display at the bottom. However if you have "old" plates then that doesn't apply..

how do they do this around Europe?

In D and NL they don't use license plate recognition software. They have other ways to detect whether a vehicle is taxed or not. In Germany for starters. you have to hand over your plates as soon as you SORN (or equivalent in Germany) your car. Driving without plates is completely illegal, no matter what, even if it's a trip to the MOT (T

I bit the bullet today nad have removed mine from the Golf and Corrado, really dont fancy handing over 30 quid for what i think is a blatant money earner, motorists are just far too easy a target..