Sign in to follow this  
stevef182

vr6 radiator fans..should they be so loud???

when the radiator fan kicks in it really kicks in..once the ignition has been turned off it still feels like the car is running its so loud and you can really feel vibrations through the steering wheel..also only one of the fans comes on..im guessing this isnt normal? or am i wrong? its not over heating, but should i be concerned?

Noise should mostly be of rushing air forced by fan(s).

I think electric motor is relatively quiet.

No vibration apparent IMO.

With vibration, I suspect a balance problem of fan. Check for something gungy (tar?) stuck on one of blades or a bit of blade broken off. Also check fan is mounted properly, possibly in rubber grommets or similar.

REMEMBER TO DISCONNECT POWER PLUG FROM FAN BEFORE INSPECTING IT. THEY CAN START UP WITHOUT WARNING.

ive got this problem also,

especially when in traffic??

im told that it something to to with the sender switch, its got 2 on settings, and the low speed is probibly knackered, not a major job, but i still havent sorted it!!! someone else may be able to give a better description!!!

also getting some vibrations as it may be loose?

The noise and vibration could mean that the motor bearings are about to seize. Spin the fan by hand to see/hear if the motor is running freely (as has been said, disconnect the electrical connection first). Obviously the "slave" fan has a bearing too so check that and replace the belt. They do roar a fair bit, especially on the higher speeds.

Best wishes

RB

Mine sounds like a Harrier jumpjet - it's so bad that I was having a cup of tea in the house and a neighbour knocked the door and said my car had just started running by itself outside! :lol:

what has happened is that the fan has come loose somehow and as a result has loosened the belt thus the second fan not working..as a result i need a new belt but more importantly a new fan! so if anyone has one please let me know, need to get this sorted asap!