boost monkey

Project Plum - The Plan of Attack

So, as I had initially degreased the subframe and had a POR-15 starter kit to hand I decided to crack on...

This is Marine Clean. It's a very strong organic degreaser and cleaner. I diluted it about 1:5 with water and it worked really well.

th.403a1fcefc.jpg

Rinsed the subframe after I finished and left to dry in the sunshine.

th.45be85f034.jpg

This stuff is Metal Ready and it's pretty clever. It has surfactants in which react with the ferrous oxide (rust) and also leave a coating of zinc phosphate over all treated metal areas.

th.20cb1b9623.jpg

The MR didn't react very quickly as it was cold outside and hence didn't catalyse as fast as I had hoped. Just looks wet when you apply!

th.9e1c8a60fe.jpg

Left it overnight and it looked like this the following morning. Coated it again in all the nooks and crannies and left for another 24 hours..

th.b12af9fe3b.jpg

This is what it looks like at the moment. Some of the rust has been dissolved by the enzymes; the rest has been "plated" with zinc phosphate!

th.4926c693e5.jpg

Really recommend this stuff, haven't used the paint yet but I can imagine that it is as good as the other two products. I got my kit for £20ish from Frost.

Yeah I'm not keeping the subframe now, but i needed to test this starter kit plus I can show buyers these pics :salute:

more updates as and when.

stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdfDSC00302.JPG[/attachment:1y6m6re3]

Think we must have had acid rain overnight for this kind of oxidisation to happen? :shrug:

These ones are all taken this avo at uni.

ETKA Corrado.pdfDSC00307.JPG[/attachment:1y6m6re3]

stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdfDSC00308.JPG[/attachment:1y6m6re3]

Corrado92.pdfDSC00309.JPG[/attachment:1y6m6re3]

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfDSC00310.JPG[/attachment:1y6m6re3]

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfDSC00311.JPG[/attachment:1y6m6re3]

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfDSC00312.JPG[/attachment:1y6m6re3]

DSC00313.JPG[/attachment:1y6m6re3]

Cheers mate! I got recommended autobling products so i thought 'd try them out...they smell so nice too :camp:

now all i gotta do is sort the mechanical, electrical, and chemical sides of the car and it'll be finished! :clap: :cuckoo:

Thanks guys :salute:

You see what I did to the subframe up there ^^^ well i'm gonna do the same to the rad support today, see how that bad boy turns out.

Except this time I will POR-15 paint it too! And knowing their addiction to rust, I may even spray a coat of Waxoyl over when it's finished :shock: :shock:

So the suspension that I bought (by proxy) turns out to be dead. Oh dear.

One of the two rears has lots of gas left in it and has to be restrained when in the box, but the other one, although not floppy, needs moving by hand. So that's dead and I need a new pair of rears.

Both fronts need pushing and pulling (they're both equally happier to collapse than expand) but is this ok? I would expect this from oil shocks, but are they actually oil shocks? :shrug:

I think they are and they could be ok. Just a bit of a ballache to put them on the car just to see if they work.

Any help appreciated, thanks to Toad for his help already :salute:

Your kidding? :? :(

Pretty sure they're oil, cos you could hear it :shrug: :scratch:

Feel a little responsible, as I bought them for you...

don't worry about it matey, i should have checked them properly and besides if you'd sold them on ebay someone might have got rowdy! :lol:

they're still cheap for the springs and I think the fronts are still usable :salute: :clap:

Could well me by good man :salute:

Else I'll grab a set of VR gas shocks and pop the springs on those :cheers:

Brief update, got a phone call from the company that I ordered my Samcos from. They're in stock, but there's a slight problem.

Apparently the price had gone up in the last couple of weeks and as such I needed to pay them more. The company was badassmotors t/a DivineWebsites (on teh bay) and there's a guy there called Jonny who is quality.

They emailed me on Saturday saying that there was a prob and could I get in touch. Finally rang them today and spoke to Jonny who said the price had gone up, but they were happy to do them at list price for me (although this was another £20) and they were really sorry and actually sounded genuine about it. They were also more than happy to refund.

I told them I'd have the refund, mainly as I'm beyond skint at the moment (plus I managed to fix the burst pipe with a spare) but I will probably re-order from them when I get around to the engine rebuild sometime in the future.

Was really nice that they contacted me, and if I could find a Good Companies thread (is there one?) I would recommend them for sure :clap:

By 'good company', I thought you had met a laydee... :wink:

Good to hear about a trader with morals and a bit of respect for the customer though :thumbleft:

laydee?! j00 r larf now?!

Stella is way too high maintenance to have ANOTHER lady in my life! :lol:

Ahem...

Looks pretty good dude! Did you just brush on the paint or did you spray it on? Did you thin it too?

Stu, I didn't thin it as I had no thinners, plus it sloshed around so much in the tin I thought it would be really thin!

I did brush it on yeah, I did a basecoat on one side of each of the two items, then 3-4 hours later I put a slightly thicker topcoat on.

Day after, I admired the enamel-like finish and then flipped them both over and did it again.

I STILL had some POR left over so I did the top half of the Mk2 subframe too! Thought I might as well just to use it up!

More pictures coming soon :salute: The finish is really glassy: I know it's gloss paint but I've never seen gloss paint like this before...

Cross-Member: Marine Clean'd then Metal Ready'd then POR-15'd

dsc00346au2.jpg

dsc00347aj2.jpg

dsc00349qk9.jpg

Rad Support: Marine Clean'd then Metal Ready'd then POR-15'd

dsc00350zx2.jpg

dsc00353jf2.jpg

dsc00354gh2.jpg

Some more comparitive photos - POR Cross Member and Satin Black Cross Member

dsc00356yn5.jpg

dsc00357jt2.jpg

dsc00358bs6.jpg

dsc00365yv9.jpg

dsc00368zb5.jpg

dsc00369wn7.jpg

That's all the updates for now :salute:

Fair play that looks pretty damn good. I was going to get my axle/subframe and crossmember powdercoated (expensive) but after seeing that I think POR15 is the way forward. I've already used the engine paint kit and was pretty impressed with that! Which kit did you go for? Was it the POR15 Starter Kit?

(P.S. I still have these wiring looms somewhere for ya)

Yeah, the starter kit. Still have a tiny bit of Marine Clean and Metal Ready left (prob enough to do the Cross-Member to Rad Support Brackets) but I finished the paint.

That little pot went SO far. When i'm working over the summer, I'll buy a litre of all three I reckon and just used them until they run out... when i'm 74 and 3 months :lol:

tbh, the POR panel has more runs in than the satin black (sprayed) and I do like the dulled texture of the satin, very OEM which is nice. But that is going to the Prod and I shall be putting on the POR panels.

Still on the hunt for a subframe though, let me know Toad!

(P.S. I still have these wiring looms somewhere for ya)

I'm expecting a discounted delayed delivery rate! :lol:

the por stuff is spot on, i used the chevy orange stuff to paint my block, wish i shotblasted my subframe n crossmembers but i had no time..

yours is looking spaff son!