boost monkey

Project Plum - The Plan of Attack

So...

HUGE thanks to all that helped with getting my 16v running, it is now sat happily on my drive ~100 miles from it's starting place :bounce2: :cheers: :turn-l: :lol!: :bday: :new-bday: :rofl: :compress: :shaking2: :thumb right: (will elaborate on the eventual problems tomorrow)

@Yan, those diagrams were superb. Serious beer tokens for you my friend!

Proper update in the morning, me and the Prodigy are only just back and I'm k n a c k e r e d!

Jon

Edited by boost monkey

I'm feeling a bit fatigued myself :wink:

Will have to write up today's adventures soon, eh?

Glad to have got it running, never has an engine idle sounded so smooth :D

Although we did have to check/change everything (at least it felt that way). Arrived at 11:20am, left at 10pm. :lol:

PS. if Yan gets beer tokens, what do I get?!

j00 kan haz hai fyv?

38.jpg

niec!!1111

sleepytimes bro-manian farm lord, I'm gonna hit the sack as if it just called my mother a street-lady.

Laters!

Nice work, fellas 8) Really glad you've finally got it sorted and home :)

This should be a good read...

Buckle yourself in Captain Six-pot! :lol:

Ok, so we got back up there yesterday around 11am, feeling quite confident. Popped the bonnet and instantly saw the brown 2-pin connector which goes underneath the oulet pipe (the one surrounded with 1-pin connectors?) so stuck that back on. With the help of White2505, plugged all the 1-pin connectors in their right place - half weren't connected or in the wrong place - plus sorted pretty much all the earths I could find.

Stuck the new ISV on, but was again frustrated by failure :( as it would only click once...

ProdigalSon aka the Emperor of Electricity 8) got to work on the wiring diags from Yan (top class!) We got to continuity checking EVERYTHING. we pulled the ECU connector out and literally checked every pin in turn, and did the same with the ignition module. Everything was perfect... but we did find something out...we worked out that the ISV connector is in line with the connector on the header tank which measures the coolant level and from the diagrams looks like it won't let the car idle AT ALL if the connector isn't working etc.

So we jimmied that up with a paperclip (we're real engineers obviously) but still no good. So we traced it back to the fuseboard... Ah ok, there's a relay that controls it..

Now, if I said Relay #42 to you, would at least some of you realise where ALL my idling problems stemmed from?

A dodo had more active life in it than this stupid thing. Luckily someone had done the uprated headlight loom on the car, so we took the fullbeam relay and stuck it in.

The ISV buzzed! Ok, one problem down.

We checked the timing, but the cambelt was fine. We did the TDC trick too (cheers to red raddo owner who told me about that!) but that was fine too, so we moved onto the dizzy.

With the help of the Golf Mk2 Haynes (using it for the 16v diagnosis) we realised that at TDC not only was the rotor arm / dizzy pointing at completely the wrong cylinder, but all the leads were wrong too :shock: how we had got it to idle the week before was anyone's guess, but it was dumping fuel like it was illegal so maybe it was a brute force thing?

SO... we sort all the leads out, and turn the car over... It purrs up perfectly to 1200rpm...and then dies. Instantly.

:( :( :(

From my previous KR engine swap, I know K-Jet can be a stubborn little biatch with regards to vacuum readings, and as we had the cam cover off I thought maybe I had disrupted the intake pipes and the vacuum lines underneath.

Oh yes. Two vacuum leaks (one fat pipe that goes from the roar pipe to TB down into that over-run valve. That was venting to atmosphere, and the other was one of the fiddly little white vacuum pipes)

This is literally last chance saloon. It was getting on for 8pm (after starting ~ 7 hours before) and we needed to go cos starting cars is loud!

I leant over, trusting in the throttle switch to sort it's act out, and turn the key.

keh-keh-vrrooooooooooooommm-brrrm-brrrm-brrrm-brrrm...

:shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: idled at 1100rpm!!

After a double high five with the P Sizzy, we cranked the brass TB screw around a bit and left it idling at 1000ish whilst we checked the timing.

After that, we hightailed it back down the M6 south to the O-town after enjoying a tank @ 99p per litre!

Aaahhhh.... and it's still outside! The paranoia has begun already :shock:

From my side, big thanks to the following people:

Yandards for awesomely useful electrical diagrams and experience

CorradoVR6-n.o.s for ETKA(?) cam belt timing diagrams

White2505 for a detailed engine wiring description that helped us to eliminate mistakes there

And I'm sure boost monkey (Jon) will give a shout to anyone I missed :wink:

Even though you may not have been aware that you were helping, your knowledge was incredibly valuable, without it we wouldn't have been to get this car sorted! :thumb right: :cheers: :salute: :notworthy:

Big shout to Russed16v for the quality motor at a brilliant price!

It will get stripped down and rebuilt when funds permit, don't worry! :thumb right:

Brilliant stuff- you must be sooooo chuffed 8)

So, did it drive well? Manage to keep up with big bro OK. The official 0-60mph time for the 1.816v is actually quicker than the standard G60 IIRC, due to the gearing! Did you spot anything else on the way home that needs doing?

After the tyres had more than 24psi in them it steered reasonably!

The ARB, and wishbones are shot to hell though. Will swap them and try to source a new PAS rack at the same time.

I remember bro rinsing it out of some services - i hit the limiter in 3rd and by the time i'd changed to 4th and looked up he was pretty much at the end of the slip road ~ 100m in front?

I kept up with Andrew on one blast, but I think he must have been 4th/5th when I was in third! :shock: That G has serious torque 8) 8) 8)

Yeah, still plenty of stuff doing, it really is a rolling project, but it works good enough for now.

Whole dash needs re-wiring, quite a few things don't work. The speedo didn't work either so the MAF sat there twiddling it's thumbs! Engine temp never got off the bottom stop though, which I hear is normal? Oil temp sat at 104C which is a little higher than i'd like, but I'll do an oil change soon enough :)

I did try to moderate my speed as I knew it was 5C outside and your passenger window was stuck halfway down...

But after the services it was game on! :lol: The only reason I didn't go mad was because I was getting very tired (it was, after all, past midnight) and my eyes were going weird :( Not a good combination for high speed driving! I am well pleased with my low end bootage, and do suspect that the car hasn't driven that well in years, probably thanks to recent exhaust, tuning, and intake improvements 8)

Bro, you were slipstreaming like some kind of Nascar racer, I'm surprised you used any petrol at all :wink: I remember thinking to my bumper on more than one occasion that if I couldn't see your headlights, you must be pretty close :shock:

Glad it held together for the long trip back, and that we sorted your window today, although I did look at my watch at 6pm this evening and think 'what happened to the day'?!

Bro, you were slipstreaming like some kind of Nascar racer, I'm surprised you used any petrol at all :wink: I remember thinking to my bumper on more than one occasion that if I couldn't see your headlights, you must be pretty close :shock:

I think the closest I ever got was about 1car length away, but that was at about 80ish so a little less than the Highway Code allows? :shock: :shock: :shock:

I do have to wind the valver up to make it move as compared to your instant 200lbft+ torque master!

ok ok, the honest answer is that only Prodigal has a decent camera that will do the DBP and general bodywork any justice, but will see what I can do!

And yes, I do like to tinker with the old KR!

We need pics!!!! ;)

There are under-dash wiring pics up already. What more do you want!!

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz... :lol:

Nice one 'monkey, good to see you've got her on the road and hopefully sorted out any gremlins for a while now.

So now its moving, what are the plans to make it go faster?

Oh yeah, one more thing....PICS!!!!!!

Nice one 'monkey, good to see you've got her on the road and hopefully sorted out any gremlins for a while now.

So now its moving, what are the plans to make it go faster?

Hmm, I'm gonna try and sort the steering and suspension first. The rack is leaking and the PAS pump whines louder than a G-charger :shock:

Steering wise the ARB and wishbones are super rusty so I'm gonna hit up some new parts on them.

Go Team Fast style....hmmm, I'm not sure for now. I think when i'm happy that it's running properly then I might see?

Yes, BORING I know! :lol:

PICTURES!!!!!!!!

congrats for getting her on the road btw :) might see you round Ox sometime

Ha ha thanks, I'll have to talk to my official photographer about pictures 8)

If you like doing time-trials around the ring road, then yes you may see me in Ox sometime!

(half tempted to go back out later on!)

enjoy & I don't blame you at all - a few days after I got mine I went for a week away to cornwall with my friends and only ended up drinking on 1 night cos I wanted to drive all the time... they all thought I was mad of course

like your sig comment btw, I'm just about to finish paying off my student loans. 2 payments to go and then £100 more each month to throw at the car :cheers: (1st purchases... MOT (bound to cost a fortune), insurance and tax :( )

enjoy & I don't blame you at all - a few days after I got mine I went for a week away to cornwall with my friends and only ended up drinking on 1 night cos I wanted to drive all the time... they all thought I was mad of course

like your sig comment btw, I'm just about to finish paying off my student loans. 2 payments to go and then £100 more each month to throw at the car :cheers: (1st purchases... MOT (bound to cost a fortune), insurance and tax :( )[/quote:3qcik41t]

Ha ha thanks :D The dash lights have been flickering a bit tonight, think the alternator might need to be looked at, but it's all good :lol:

Well I just started my 1st year, so plenty of Loan accrual to go :shock: :( stupid government, moaning about not having enough skilled people when they make us pay for it!!

Didn't go back out later in the end, been pricing up new ARB and suspension items! :oops: Will be sat in lectures tomorrow just thinking about getting home...

Yo yo wassup C-units?

I took some pictures on my Nokia this morning, but I have no nokia lead at uni so will upload this avo.

I'm not sure whether it was icy out today, or my car is emanating too much cool, or cos I hit 88mph but it is craaaazy icy right now.

Whatever it was, it is definitely fresh 8)