boost monkey

Project Plum - The Plan of Attack

Dudle,

Fun times in cars eh?

Won't be coming over anytime soon as I have exams coming up and just spent 4 days you-know-where, so need to knuckle down!

Pics of the weekend up when I fix my phone.

I ran my vr out of fuel yesterday as well :lol: mind you i have just got my supercharger working and was officially back on the road so i was a bit heavy footed and forgot that it now drinks a lot more fuel than standard :lol:

Oh well, lesson learnt :roll:

Never had a car ran out when it was halfway in the red section of the gauge! Means the tank must have approx 2 litres of crap in it, which I guess it to be expected from a car getting on for 200,000 miles and what is most likely to be the original petrol tank and collector etc.

i never knwo how far to let it go down so now i see the top of red as empty and go and put some in cause it scares me otherwise lol

Quick update:

bought some Waxoyl to do the wishbones in so that they can go on soon,

started to prep and paint the spare ARB,

got a job with a Lamborghini racing team,

given up on the subframe so i'm gonna grab another one from a mate and use that,

lower ball joints arrived,

starting to put stuff together which will be cool!

Pics as and when :D

Quick update:

bought some Waxoyl to do the wishbones in so that they can go on soon,

started to prep and paint the spare ARB,

got a job with a Lamborghini racing team,

given up on the subframe so i'm gonna grab another one from a mate and use that,

lower ball joints arrived,

starting to put stuff together which will be cool!

Pics as and when :D

ROFL... Like the subtley there.

Ron threw a water hose tonight.

At least I think that is what it is, lots of steam pouring out from underneath the alternator? Can't see directly for obvious reasons. Anyone have any ideas? Used a torch but still couldn't see what was creating the steam, top rad hose is fully empty now though if that helps diagnosis.

stat housing?

plastic flange of doom?

just a pipe that has finally perished?

Any thoughts welcome, Ron is now on sabbatical for the foreseeable future!

Its usually the hose that goes onto the back of the head above the manifold that perishes first! heater matrix and throttle body i think it goes too, anyway it sprays water everywhere so you cant pin point it!, happened on my Golf VR

it's definitely not coming from the flywheel end of the engine, that end is bone dry.

the alternator was dripping with coolant last night, so definitely crank pulley end.

I don't think 16v engines have a hose that goes into the head above the exhaust manifold, but thanks for the input.

There is a whole rabbit warren of coolant hoses down under the alternator on valvers.

Bottom rad pipe, to/from the oil cooler, the hose from the heather matrix actually connects in there (via a metal pipe). The one I've most commonly seen go is a 'T' shaped one that connects into the oil cooler. But tbh it could be any of them that's leaking. The only way to be sure is to get in there with a torch! (and be prepared for many a scraped knuckle and many a swearword when trying to replace any hose down there :bad-words: )

Also, don't go near GSF hoses, a mate of mine fitted one and it was completely fupped and disintegrating after only a couple of months of use! :pale:

Cheers for the input guys.

Even though I'm not gonna be keeping this engine in the car long-term, the replacement is a KR also so any partsi have to buy to keep ron working through the restoration phase can at least be re-used (if applicable).

I think I will be ordering a water pump and a set of silicone hoses then. Just a shame the hoses take so long to come, and I'd have to get a Mk2 GTi set and then make up the other two! Ho hum. :shrug:

The spare KR on 80k still has all it's hoses so i'm hoping that I could pinch most of those and try to change them one at a time whilst the sillies are on the way :lol:

Oh dear! :( Could just be the stat housing... I'm trying to be optimistic! You have to remove the alternator to get to it (speak to CrazyDave :lol: ).

Cheers matey,

I got a text off someone, think it might have been Toad with a really good description of what needs to be done.

My bursary came through today, good timing! Need to find out whether i'm emplyed over the summer before I start spending again though.

As exams are coming up, I have postponed all work on Ron for now.

Will keep updating as and when with regards to new parts etc.

Managed to get some Golf 16v samcos on order for £90 delivered which I thought was a bit of a bargain.

Planning to strip the old coolant hoses and water pump off the spare KR to fix Ron for the time being, then replace with new parts when exams are finished :salute:

Found the culprit, there was a 1" tear in the T-pipe from the water pump/stat housing to the oil cooler to the front engine coolant flange, which would be why it was steaming so bad!

Also need to let the alternator dry out, it's absolutely dripping.

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfronpwn.JPG[/attachment:1kq0uwvi]

newpipe.JPG[/attachment:1kq0uwvi]

hoping this will be a relatively quick fix, although both engines still have spring clips on which means any helpers might have their work cut out! :sad: :salute: :cheers:

Bob Fossil