Sign in to follow this  
quicky1980

overfilled oil

The stupid mechanic has overfiled my oil in my vr, god knows how. should I drive the car any more untill its drained to the max mark or is it ok to drive carefully?

its about 1cm above max.

I'd whip off the sump nut and let out a pint if I was you, I absent-mindedly overfilled my 1.3 mk2 golf years back, and it got through all the seals etc etc and shot out of the exhaust on WOT at mid range revs.

But then I'd put about 2litres too much in. Ahh, what a newb. :oops:

In our early days of car ownership, I found that the cowboys in the Ayrshire garages we used sometimes overfilled the sump.

I got into the habit of checking it everytime thereafter.

Call me cynical, but I reckon they dont care if they do it as they will be happy to get a big job replacing burst or leaking seals if you havent sussed out what has been going on.

The catalytic converter can be contaminated by excess oil being blown into it. There's a warning message on the filler cap to that effect.

Probably the easiest solution is to undo the filter drain plug and empty the bowl. About half a litre will come out and it's more controllable than undoing the sump drain.

Best wishes

RB

In our early days of car ownership, I found that the cowboys in the Ayrshire garages we used sometimes overfilled the sump.

I still use those guys! :lol:

i over filled the oil on a corsa once, whenever i put my foot down i got a smoke screen :lol:

not sure it does the cat much good

I still use those guys! :lol:

I wondered if you might rise to that one, Glenn!

Actually, referring to McQuistons in Ayr. Vauxhall/Opel dealer right in centre - all dead and gone bust, I hope! :evil: :angel: