Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

HELP needed asap! headlight switch UPDATE 4: Fixed!!!

typical this!!

just reading on forum last week about dodgy headlight switches and mine has just broken

i can't turn my lights off, something inside switch has broken and its now all loose and doesn't do anything

just it just lever out with a screwdriver?

right i managed to pull the front of switch off, but can't get switch out.

i've just pulled the fuses out for now, but the dash is still lit up.

just saw your repair guide, very handy, lots of little bits fell out of my switch

how do i get the whole thing out?

is there any temp fix i can do so i can use lights still?

i hate it when things like this happen just as you need to do something

The easiest way to remove it is prise out the blanking plate next to the switch.(to the left of the switch)

Then its easy enough to push the switch out from behind with your fingers.

You can then pull the switch off the connector and the lights go out :lol:

got it out, albeit with some other bits attached :lol:

i notice the white bit in one of the pics gets very very hot indeed, burnt my finger on it

is that normal? seems to of melted the clear plastic ring

welcome to the joys of Corrado ownership...............I'm on my 2nd headlight switch in 7yrs of ownership........i had the joy of replacing it first within 1 month of ownership when the switch cost a whopping £80+!!!!!!

and yes it does get a tad hot when you take it out after it being on

seems abnormally hot to me, probably what causes them to break

its the 1st time its broken that i know of.........is it best just to buy a new one?

I would buy new everytime............especially as they are now round the £50 mark

the only thing to do is keep taking it out when you park up

going to buy a new one and the repair kit, so i have a backup switch....

been putting off a trip to the dealers to get my brake stuff, but now best go asap

i wonder if the CCGB card gets discount on the switch?

You should get 10% from Sheppards in Stortford - really nice guys to deal with. Don't go to Vindis, they're tight bastids and really don't care.

The switches get warm because the full current of the headlights flows through the switch. If you've got uprated bulbs in and no uprated loom, you'll make the switch even hotter. It's this heat that makes them brittle over time and eventually snap.

If you do have an uprated headlight loom, there should be minimal current flowing through the switch, so it won't get warm and thus should last much longer. Plus your lights will be brighter as you'll be getting the full-on 12-13v through the lights rather than wasting a load of it on heating up the standard loom.

things just got worse :( :x

don't know what caused it, but basiclly the wiring just melted, lots of smoke etc.

pissed off now, put car in garage and given up for now till i'm more relaxed

is this going to be a massive fix now? the brown wire has melted as far as i can see, and ll the other wires are stuck to it in a horrible melted mess

is this wiring something i can buy again and just plug in?

is the loom in separate parts or do i need to replace the whole thing?

It will be the earth wire mate - get the loom out as it just runs down the the fuse box and replace that wire with a repair wire from VW - I would also stick a fuse inline too...

Have a search on here as this has happened a few times now, basically the switch fails and sticks 12V down the thin earth cable.

i found someones info, very useful, but not clear about how i replace the burnt bit and what else may be buggered now. Can i just buy a whole new bits of wiring and a new switch and does that just plug in?

i noticed my headunit went dead

its not jsut the brown wire, its melted all the ones touching it too.

is it safe to find someone splitting a VR6, (does it have to be a 1995 VR the same as mine?) and buy the bit of wiring from them?

tried to get the bits of wiring out of car lastnight

DSC00476.jpg

DSC00474.jpg

DSC00473.jpg

have now got the fuse box thing undone so its hanging in footwell, got the wiring from above dash to below it, but i can't get enough movement on the box to find where the loom is plugged in. didn't fancy undoing each plug, but i guess i have to?

You should be able to find where it plugs in once it's dropped down - you need to 'unlock' the fusebox to remove these plugs - you will see a black tab to do this, it slides across...

i did try back really can't get it to budge without the feeling something may break.

just been to VW

switch = £55

wiring = £88

:lol:

refused to pay for the wiring so gotta find something else, i.e: 2nd hand

mine fell apart when cleaning the dash back in the summer......i walked back into the house, opened my spares box, took out a mk2 golf headlight switch, stuck it in - job done - not one prob, and it dosn't heat up like a b'stard either....anyone else using one of these? much better quality, and o.e. - can't ask for more! blow paying for a new crappy one from vag

wish i'd known that, already paid for VW one and gotta wait for it to come

got wire out now

DSC00479.jpg

seem to of found alot of bits not plugged in to anything

DSC00481.jpg

DSC00480.jpg