Sign in to follow this  
PhilB

Front Suspension Strut Top End Play.

Gents, need to pick your brains. VR Failed MOT for play in the top of the front struts, tester guy said" change the top bearings cos its common on VW's", so I did.

Just re-tested and failed again so I'm now thinking that its the large rubber donuts on the tops of the struts, have they compressed/gone soft over the yrs? Anyone had this problem before?

i change the bushes on mine, not cos it failed mot but for wheel alignment purposes they didn't look too bad but you could feel the difference after i changed them by lifting the wheel before and after, got them from euro car dont think they were that expensive just over a cock and hen each from memory

i hate this..... our MOT station picks this up every year on both our VWs... even 3 months after having new top rubbers fitted to the golf3..

basically the rubber squishes a bit over time such that when the wheels are lifted - as in an MOT - an amount of play will be evident...

however, when loaded on the ground the top mounts will still be able to do their job and have no play laterally.....

I challenged them last time and they phoned the 'ministry' who said this problem had been noted for sharan's and lupo's but not golfs, or corrado's....

in the end they agreed they were still 'able to operate in the correct manner' or something similar and passed it....

for next year I am planning on making up a spacer from an old rear bump stop to sit under the top retaining plate under the bonnet, so when the wheels are lifted there won't be any play..........!!

pb

Have just replaced front suspenion including topmounts and bearings using OE stuff. Top play in mountings of about 8mm, :shock: Have been told its usual for all VW, could reduce it by fitting a slimmer top mount nut, but it needs some clearance to allow steering movement. Must admit I didnt check clearance before rebuild but seems a larger gap now, any advice appreciated , :)

Bruny, I hear ya!! Just changed both mounts bearings (bearings done at the top of this thread) and still the gap is there under the top dishes. Can't fathom it, MOT retest 2moro and the MOT guy says there should be no gap, I think we're gonna fall out! Calling VW first thing 2moro but can any of you guys offer any advice, cheers.

just over a cock and hen each from memory

...And for those who don't still tell the time on sundials, this amount would be....?[/quote:tt4mtwpg]

cock and hen.... Ten, just short of £10 mate plus vat

Can't test the top mount play on VWs of this age when the weight isn't on the wheel.. they should know that.