Sign in to follow this  
shawshankkid

Help!! Have I been ripped off?

Right then guys!! Need some help. I am so mad with myself and don't know how to deal with it.

On Thursday I spoke to the dealers about getting my serpintine charger belt fitted. ( I had already purchased both the serpintine and power steering belts and the charger tensioner - 037145299) We got into a disagreement as they stated that it would be a 3 1/4 hour job just to change the serpintine belt - at £66 (reduced rate per hour - usual price is £99) this is no laugh! I spoke to my friend in the parts section who said that he would speak with the mechanic directly. The result of which was that I was to go in at 08.30 this morning for the job to be done (as well as brake fluid change )

as a backhander for the set price of £100.

I sat there, in the company of my 5 year old son, for 2 1/4 hours (yes I know this was stupid) when he finally arrived, apologising for oversleeping due to being out on the pop last night, he completed the work (omitting to change the brake fluid due to the bolts being seized) in 1 hour and 10 mins and charged me £100. I was so shocked and angry that, like the twat that I am (as my wife has repeatedly told me since discovering the details) I handed over the money, and now have no paperwork to prove what has happened and am definately out of pocket(not to mention being in the dog house at home.) In a nutshell - I have been had!! Can anyone please offer a sensible solution to my dilemma as in my current state of rage - violence (which is unusual for me) seems the preferable option.

Many thanks Chris.

I think the long and short of it is, it could have been a lot worse. But that is quite steep just to change the serpentine. We've all been had at some point buddy, even by peeps on this forum :? but hey, you could always threat to tell the dealership if he doesen't do the brakes. They will not like him doing backhanders, but if I were you I'd steer clear, I wouldn't want a guy like that doing my brakes. Where abouts are you? I'll do them for you if you like, tis a relitavely easy job tbh.

Being devils advocate....

You aren't necessarily out of pocket. The dealers would have charged you £214.50 for he job and you paid £100. So looking at it that ay it was done cheaper than the dealers would have charged you. Now, if the dealers had done it in 1 hour 10mins, you can't guarentee that they would have only charged you for that much time. I know last time I took my Corrado to a dealer it cost £185 to change the core plug in the side of the head behind the cambelt.

At the end of the day, you have had the job done at less than half what the dealers were going to charge you, so you are better off.

Don't fret dude :doc:

Put it down to experience and let it go! It's not ideal but the job's been done and sometimes you have to take your medicine so you're wiser in future. I know I have!

Thanks for the replies guys and the offer to do the brakes KipVR, very nice of you....i think i need new or second hand calipers because the bleed nipples have seized solid so thats next on the list..... but surely both belts and a dampner should only be a 30 min job for a fully trained vw mechanic ?

I may be wrong but I think most mechanics charge per hour anyway,so if a job takes 15 mins they will charge for an hours work.

Mine certainly doesn't!