Sign in to follow this  
joedakio

Amp Recommendation needed ...

I bought two of these speakers and need to know what kind of amp would be sufficient for providing the best sound. i dont know anything about ICE so any input is appreciated

aw1006t1.jpg

this is the spec given from the seller:

Brand New AUDIOBAHN AW1006Q 10" Flame Monster Car Audio Subwoofer!

- Absolutely Incredible 900Watts RMS Power Handling w/ 120oz. Double Stacked Magnet that Plays Down to 22 Hertz for Awesome Low Frequency Bass Response!

- PHAT 2" Surround for Long Excursion WITH DUAL 4-Ohm Voice Coils AND 95db Sensitivity

- Works Great In Small Sealed, Bandpass & Ported Boxes!

- THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST 10" CAR SUBWOOFERS ON THE PLANET!

You need a class D monoblock amp to power subs, you can use an amp thats used for the front end ie: a 2 channel amp by bridging the 2 channels, or a 4 channel amp and bridging the channels again, if you did use either of those bridging methods then both require different wiring to the subs and the load that the amp sees in ohms will be different.

Best bet is to get a monoblock amp for ease of installation.

OK, first off, you have bought the hardest combination of voice coils if you want to use 2 subs. How much did you pay for them? Audiobahn are not much good really...

anyway, an amp.... you either need a 2 channel amp running 2 ohms per side, or a mono block suitable for 1 ohm operation.

For a monoblock, this is the best I could come up with (I assume your not lookign at mega money or you would not have got Audiobahn.)

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/vibe-slick-p-4953.html

that will give you 375 watts RMS to each sub, dont believe the 900watts rating on the subs, thats garbage in my opinion....

or

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/dynamics-s1200d-p-5535.html

but you would have to be very very careful not to fry the subs with that with 600 watts going to each.

For 2 channels,

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/jvc-ksax5700-p-6305.html

got to be a bargain...... again 200watts RMS to each sub. And you can use it on a nice set of components later on.

Remember though, to get the best out of any sub you need a good box, purpose designed for those subs. Are you looking at sealed or ported?

Audiobahn are not the best as they are tuned for a certain frequency as well so will be astonishing at that frequency but not so good at the rest, which for listening purposes is not the best.

If you want to run a true 1200watt RMS then you need to buy this bad boy off me but be warned it will fry your voice coils, only problem been is im not sure it will wire up right with your 2 4ohm voicecoils

P8110007.jpg

Another option but it means spending more would be to get a JL Audio slash series monoblock, or similar that automatically sensors the ohm loading and will play 500watt rms regardless of ohm loading.

but its pointless spending that much with those subs.....

to be honest you would be better off selling them to teh local chavs and buying a matched sub/amp set from Fusion through CAD, you would get much more for your money.

As I said though, you can spend thousands on amps and subs but they will sound cack if you dont have the sub well installed in a decent box.

thanks for all the detailed answers.

i was told these would be a good buy, and that audiobahn is a good make :? i paid £100 delivered for them brand new from america.

i dont want to blow the roof off anything, just want decent quality sound. dont shoot me but these are going to be put on an acoustic covered parcel shelf, so no "box" as such, unless you count the inside of the car as an enclosed box :D i still want my boot space you see. i wont be fitting the amp, i just need to know what model will be sufficent to take to an audio fitters for fitment. looking to pay about £150ish.

Works Great In Small Sealed, Bandpass & Ported Boxes!

Sorry to disappoint, but you're going to cook those things if you don't put them in a box. They're designed to work in a box with back pressure, if you're not using a box then you're going to cook the coils. On top of that, you're going to lose pretty much all bass if they're just swinging free in the shelf.

On top of that, the shelf is going to be huuugely heavy and still take up a considerable amount of your boot space. Audioscape do a nice sub enclosure that fits in the cut-out where the boot light is and can do you a deal for a sub and enclosure combo. Obviously that's just going to be the one sub, but if you're not looking at blowing the windows out, there really is no need for more than one prop sub.

I've got a 10" poverty-spec Rainbow sub in an Audioscape enclosure and it's got more than enough grunt to shake the seats...

As i said your not going to get sound quality out of those subs as they will be tuned for a certain frequency, usually a really low frequency thats beyond normal low frequencies in music, sorry to disappoint.

As Dinkus says you just need 1 proper sub, even a poverty spec, the sub only reproduces what is asked of it by the source (headunit) and the amp, so obviously the sub needs to be able to play the frequency range its asked to play. You can make a cheaper sub sound sound better with a better amp as the amp makes the bass the sub just plays it.

thanks for all the detailed answers.

i was told these would be a good buy, and that audiobahn is a good make :? i paid £100 delivered for them brand new from america.

i dont want to blow the roof off anything, just want decent quality sound. dont shoot me but these are going to be put on an acoustic covered parcel shelf, so no "box" as such, unless you count the inside of the car as an enclosed box :D i still want my boot space you see. i wont be fitting the amp, i just need to know what model will be sufficent to take to an audio fitters for fitment. looking to pay about £150ish.

OK, best thing you can do is stick them straight back on Ebay to be honest, they just dont fit what you want to do. Who told you they are a good make??

If your not looking for street bass, one sub is enough. If you dont want to box it, you can get subs that will play in an infinite baffle environment i.e. the parcel shelf but you have to buy very carefully as not many subs wil ltake it, plus you cant use the existing parcel shelf and you have to seal the new shelf pretty well to prevent the back wave from the sub cancelling out the bass. Having said that, a lot of competition cars use IB installs.

You will be best off with a small sealed box, you can buy a sub that will work nicely in a 1cubic foot enclosure, or as Dinkus said, spend a load of money on the audioscape pod. Alternatively, buy £30 of fibreglass and do it yourself, its not hard. Even easier to make up a small sealed box which will sit in the back corner....

Also, its really really easy to fit an amp, you would be better off doing it yourself.

What are you using up front? Are you putting good component speakers or a front amp in?

Whats your total budget, and what sort of music do you listen to?

As Dom said, the Audioscape stuff is very good and leaves you with with virtually the whole boot usable.

See the link in my sig... I've got some of it for sale :)