Sign in to follow this  
Jay2

Advice on fitting my ICE back into a stripped out rear?

Wanting to use my C to cart my mountain bike around but still want to have a decent ICE system, so after advice on how to get this, (amp, 6x9 speakers, CD Multi-Changer & Bass Speaker):-

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfBootIce.JPG[/attachment:20hn66r1]

Into the rear of the car after stripping out the back seats, shelf, etc:-

BootAfter.JPG[/attachment:20hn66r1]

Would like to have a nice flat boot space, so thinking of false floor and somehow installing everything under it? Maybe with the CD Changer under one of the front seats for ease of access. Know this will probably mean having to sacrifice the spare wheel and use the space. Am I better keeping the bass speaker in the box and mounting it somewhere out of the way? Do I need to protect the speakers from the metal body work?

Any advice from anyone thats done this and any pics would be a great help! :)

PS. Bit of a novice about the best place to put everything for the best sound quality. :(

Firstly, are you planning on running without a rear bench or parcel shef?

If so, you're probably going to have to lose the 6x9s or make some custom enclosures for them.

The amp needs to have some space/airflow around it because otherwise it'll over heat, so you need to bear that in mind.

If it were me, I'd get some Audioscape front door pods. They're expensive, but take your front door pods up to 6.5" so you get some decent sound out of them. That should compensate for having to ditch the 6x9s.

I'd also go for an Audioscape sub enclosure which fits in the gap to the left of the boot hatch under the speaker shelf.

Then you can put your changer either on the other side of the boot opening or under one of the rear windows. The amp could then go the other side under the window.

The only problem then is that your door cards would either need modification and/or removing which is going to look a bit poo.

Also sound deaden the whole thing because it's damned noisy without the rear bench and parcel shelf there to soak up road noise. Ideally some bitumen sheet type stuff (Dynamat/Skinz/Brown Bread/et al) and then a few mil of some sort of high-density open-cell foam on top. The sheet stuff stops vibrations and stops sound coming in from outside and the foam soaks up echos inside the car. Then cover the whole lot with carpet that you could easily cut to size.

Again, you're still left with the issue of the rear door cards and it all depends on how game you are to get the MDF and fibreglass out and have a crack yourself.

what ever you do, no matter what it is, make sure its bolted down securely, trust me i kno from first hand experience it hurts having a sub & box and other things hitting you in the back if you have an accident, plua if it all stays in one spot you dont brake it all as badly lol

Thanks for the tips Dinkus.

On a tight budget, (charger service on the list for the summer), so have to work with what I've got and also wanting to keep everything simple/standard in case I have to put the rear seats back in.

Original idea was to try and use the space created by taking out the rear seat bottoms, either placing the amp/CD Changer under a false floor or raising this area up enough so I could put the 6x9's into the false floor, with the amp in the middle. CD Changer under the seat, although realised it won't fit due to the C's seats sitting so low, so maybe putting this in the space at the back of the rear light clusters, with the box secured at the back of the boot.

From your post, does the amp just need space around it or a flow of air to keep it nice and cool? Mate suggested putting a couple of little fans into the design if so.

Quite happy getting stuck in with a jigsaw and MDF.

From your post, does the amp just need space around it or a flow of air to keep it nice and cool? Mate suggested putting a couple of little fans into the design if so.

Yeah, just don't box it into a tiny little space with no airflow, because it'll overheat. Wee PC case type fans or whatever will do the job to keep it cool.

I was in exactly the same situation, my bike would fit across the back seat, but it meant only 1 bike could fit, so the journey to Wales was a bit lonely!

Did have all the amps attached to a sub box which sat flush against the rear seats, but if I took that out then the amps went and I had no sounds. So built an MDF panel which sat in the space between the wheelarch and the light cluster on the left of the boot for the 4 channel amp and left the sub amp attached to the box. Now I just undo 3 wires (removing fuse so it doesn't spark) and pull out the box, then the seats fold flat and the speakers are all amped... Took an hour or so to get the mdf the right size and fitting properly. Was quite lucky as the 4ch amp was quite small and fitted ok...

Only issue I found was that without a parcel shelf the amp is on display and left for hours in car parks... So I use the towels and stuff we put between the bikes to stop them rubbing to cover the amp as though they'd just been piled there and not cos they're covering something...

i think your best bet is as you say (Quite happy getting stuck in with a jigsaw and MDF.)

build you sub into the gap in the boot on the passenger side . try your best to seal the enclosure and use dynamat/roofing flashing (much cheeper and as good) behind and use some wadding in your enclosure (depending on you sub i half fill sealed enclosures)

loose the 6by9's in the shelf and get the best set of rears you can afford but does not have to be great as the sound you hear is generated from the front speakers ,your sub will drown out the rears anyway.

if you can not afford expensive door builds get the best set of components for the front (i have a £350 set of boston acoustics) and they sound great just fit the tweeters in the stock position the tweeters will bounce of the front screen and sound great .

as for your amp fit a piece of mdf to the rear seats and attach you amp/s there all you have to do is cover them when your transporting you bike(i also fitted my 12 disk changer there 3 amps ,2 passive x/overs and a power cap and never had any clipping from the amps .

i have built many false floor systems and could never get enough air around the amps.

for sure my amps used to get hot but thats what happens when you can bounce a pound coin of the roof 4 inchs from the bass!!!!!!

hope this helps

kelly

Roofrack looking like a defo at the moment, as the girlfriend is swapping her Leon for something alot smaller and cheaper to run.

So the Corrado is going to be the main luggng machine! :shock: