Sign in to follow this  
golfmk1

9a to cam or not to cam?

right i have a 9a corrado lump which i have put in my mk2 golf!

i have looked on this site but i cannot find anything comparing the two!

i have just gotten her rolling roaded @ 158bhp & 150ft lb standard! (set up byme,by ear alone! timing & metering head)

is it worth putting the kr inlet cam on or will i loose my low down torque?

what do you loose to gain the bhp basically? is it worth it?

Cheers

Edd

Think it's just one of those things you won't know until you try. Some really good figures there- I can understand you not wanting to upset it. Think I'd go for it though, if it was me.

From the figures you have quoted, it looks like you already have one. Do you have any history from the car the engine came from that might tell you?

From the figures you have quoted, it looks like you already have one. Do you have any history from the car the engine came from that might tell you?

Ah yes, but it is in a mk2 golf, so no CAT to restrict it.

I did this change on my 9a, and it made it much more lively at the top end, but that didn't compromise torque. You get an extra 1mm lift with the KR inlet cam, but the duration is the same, so you should gain and not lose.

i have no history but dubshack told me it was the best 9a they have ever had in? the head i am 99.9% has been rebuilt and im pretty sure after those figures without any smoke atall on full beans on rollers or road the bottom end has been rebuilt. the cam is definately a 9a cam, thankyou for all the replies i will let you guys know how it goes this weekend! :)

Hey,

are the two cams completely interchangeable then? ie you dont have to mess with anything other than physically swapping the cams?

I was thinking about doing the cam swap ( with some help lol) and fitting a 50mm manifold to my 95 valver but thought I would see what everybody has to say about it.

I am due a cambelt change soon, hence my interest. :)

Adding both the cam and the manifold would rob you of some low-end (under 4000rpm) torque.

imho, I would leave the skinny inlet manifold on, it will flow enough air for you no problems.

yes the cams are interchangeable those figures are with the 50mm inlet on, it came like that i have more torque than i can put to tarmac bottom end so no woes there :D

you have too much torque with 150lbft?

Do you have cheap tires then or something? Doesn't sound like it would be too much on paper imo, unless you're talking personal preference which is fair enough.

is it going to be a fairly noticable amount of low end torque? Trouble is I spend more time cruising below 4000 than I do giving it some above, due to my 40 mile per day commute.

I have also toyed with the idea of getting some fast road cams. Newman cams make 16v road cams which they say the power band is 2000 - 6500rpm.

When I saw them on ebay it said you didnt need a vernier pulley either.( I presume you just use the standard one)

Coupled with a 50mm manifold I thought this might be a solution, apart from £300 + VAT of course!

If you spend most of your time below 4000 rpm, there's no point in fitting a 50mm manifold.

Defo worth fitting a KR cam though. Fits straight in with no mods and waaaaay cheaper than buying some aftermarket ones. Should see 10-15bhp. If you want even more power, you can swap your inlet can for a 9A/KR (they are the same) exhaust cam, although it will require a small modification. Stealth definately used to do this mod quite cheaply, so you could send it off to them- not sure if they still do though.

Always worth changing your rocker cover gasket while you're in there too ;)

you have too much torque with 150lbft?

Do you have cheap tires then or something? Doesn't sound like it would be too much on paper imo, unless you're talking personal preference which is fair enough.

it just spins up whenever i put my foot down, it has new pirellis on.

btw this is golf mk2