Sign in to follow this  
was8v

Monroe Gas dampers VS Sachs non gas

Any suspension experts out there?

I removed the GMAX -40mm lowering springs from the rear of my C yesterday to go back to standard (the ride was awfull with the GMAX).

The setup I had to replace my rear suspension with was red Sachs shocks with std springs.

When I pulled the existing suspeonsion off I noticed it had Monroe Gas dampers.

Now the existing Monroe gas dampers looked much newer than the red sachs ones so I kept those and installed.

When it was all apart I noticed that the gas dampers felt "sprung" (expected) and resisted movement much more (not expected really) than the SACHS dampers which felt a bit limp in comparison.

Is this normal? should gas dampers be much stiffer than normal ones? Should I get matched gas dampers for the front to match?

I guess the SACHS ones looking much older could be a bit tired, but the difference was pretty big. If you bounce the front of the car it has more bounce to it than the rear (presumably because of the increased damping on the rear?) Would this unmatched damping cause me issues?

I heard VR6's came with gas dampers on the rear as standard - were the OEM rears more damped than the fronts too?

The VR6 came shipped with four gas-over-oil SACHS/BOGE dampers. If your OE ones don't "spring" then they've failed, replace them.

Well the car seems to ride much better on standard springs and the good gas dampers.

Those GMAX spring ruined the ride, I can't believe they sell them. I guess Eibach etc springs are better.

Only the difference between front and rear damping rates now worries me slighty. I may replace the front dampers with a set of monroe gas assisted to match at some point in the future.

You can't really tell the difference in damping rates off the car, not easily anyway.

OE shocks don't cost much (certainly less than the labour to replace them), so I'd recommend you getting some new ones if you're unsure about your old ones. GSF sell 'em for ~£30 a corner, iirc.

Just checked my front shocks.... and I'm an idiot, they are matched Monroe Gas shocks that don't look very old either.

Nevermind please can someone delete this poitnless thread.....