Sign in to follow this  
Thom

Gear Change Problems

Hello,

I've had a very notchy gear change for a while now (especially when cold) and so assumed that the gear oil needed changing, so have done that. Unfortunately, it's made very little difference. Thought that maybe the linkages need adjusting but here lies the snag....

With the engine not running I can move the lever into any gear position with no trouble whatsoever, it's only when running that problems start. Does this mean the problem must be with the clutch not fully engaging rather than a box fault?

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, I'm still quite new to this home mechanics thing, lol

Could be soggy engine mounts...

Try this first tho - blast the shifter area on top of the gearbox with WD40 to clean it, then grab a handful of CL grease in a glove and 'work' it into the shifter assembly - It might not make an immediate difference but over a few miles it might start to loosen up nicely!

i have had this problem and it was a leak somewhere in the hydraulic system if i remember correctly.

The solution was to have it re-bled. The guy at the gargae said it would work fine for a few months.

it's not been over a year and it is still fine. Occasionally i get the problem back but i havent done anything about it and its all good.

The correct solution is to replace one or both master and clutch cylinder and check for any leaking fluid anywhere in the system (i am going from memory and am not as sharp as some people on here about the names of everything) That would cost a couple of hundred quid plus an hour or two of labour?

Hello,

I've had a very notchy gear change for a while now (especially when cold) and so assumed that the gear oil needed changing, so have done that. Unfortunately, it's made very little difference. Thought that maybe the linkages need adjusting but here lies the snag....

With the engine not running I can move the lever into any gear position with no trouble whatsoever, it's only when running that problems start. Does this mean the problem must be with the clutch not fully engaging rather than a box fault?

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, I'm still quite new to this home mechanics thing, lol

The box is cable change so as Supercharged already mentioned if the engine mounts are a bit knackered then you will effectively change the length of the gearchange cable as the load is put on and off the engine via the clutch making gearchanges difficult.

Easiest way to check is to accerlerate hard in 2nd and then do a block change to 4th, if it is harder to change than normal or crunches slightly then you have worn engine mounts that will need changing.

Thanks for the advice guys, I tried the '2nd to 4th whilst giving it some thing' last night and tbh it didn't really feel any worse than normal. I think that maybe my box is just becoming worn. A contraversial one now, Slick 50?, any good for retaining some life in the gearbox? Also, I've found now that the changes are slightly easier when the engine has warmed up, but the oil is brand new so surely this should've helped

what oil did you put in it? it really needs to be a fully syn to get the best change especialy on cold days

have you made any attempt to replace any bushes in the linkage , lubricate or ajust anything?

I put in Castrol 80W/90 Manual, have adjusted the linkages at the gearbox end and all is well there. Also greased the shifter mechanism on top of the box.

is that oil fully syn? if not that wont help...redline or vw's own syn oil seems best

id consider rebuilding the gearstick end of things...davidwort did a nice up recently, it improved his alot

Looks like I'll need to change the oil again to a fully synthetic, the stuff I put in is only part synth, d'oh.

Cheers for your help m8, appreciate it :)

get redline mt90 you'l have to mail order it but its very good

can you get a pic of the shift tower on the gearbox, mine was a very early one ..i swapped to a later version and along with the oil and new bushes etc and a few tweaks here n there its pretty acceptable now