Sign in to follow this  
ardandy

Advice Needed On The C! (Upd)

Ok, here the situation.

It's always being my plan (had the C 2 years up to now) to replace the engine with an R32 lump or possibly 1.8T. I've got coilovers on (ready for a diff engine) and tried to replace things with the idea that it'll have another engine in the future (like powerflex bushes all round).

Anywho, as of late I've being getting approximate prices from places like JBS & Awesome GTI for prices on the transplant, inc them sourcing the engine. It seems £6,500 is an average estimate!

Although not too bad in itself, even if I managed to save up and/or borrow the money to do this I don't think I could spend £6,500 on what is essentially a hobby/serious interest. Too many things need doing on the house and the missus thinks 3's a magic number (if you know what I mean!), so it's just not a practical proposition anymore to do this.

I still plan on keeping the car and enjoying it but have limited myself to £2,000 'bulk spending' exc repairs.

The bodywork will be nr mint (maybe fully mint!) by summer as I'm sourcing a bonnet and taking care of scuffs caused by a hit and run! Grrr! So a respray is un-necessary!

General specs at the mo are - Standard VR6 Engine (Just Magnecor HT Leads) - Coilovers - Powerflex Bushes all round - Full Recaro Heated Leather Interior (Black) - Un-Marked Dash - Gun Metal Grey Refurbed Standard Speedlines

I won't be track day'ing the car so Brembo's etc are probably not worth it? Dunno!

Need help/inspiration on where to take the car next!

Cheers!

Andy

Forced induction? :) A supercharger often helps but some smiles back on the faces of VR owners who have become used to the performance!

Thats true, forgotten about them!

I'd want to 'do it properly' so to speak, intercooler etc. Do you think £2k would be enough?

To be honest you could intercool it later on down the line but as I understand it quite a few folks have just got the charger on as stage one and then looked at additional ways to improve power down the line. I think even non-intercooled supercharging will yield approx 50BHP more power...

I agree that adding an intercooler is the right way to do it but it doesn't necessarily have to be part of the initial outlay..

Had a nice chat with a guy at stormdevelopment (listed above) and one of the first things he said was 'don't supercharge'!

To cut a long story short he said the best thing to do is to swap it for an R32,

Source the engine yourself, fit it, buy the ecu from us and swap it for your existing one, then remap. He said it's not complicated and it's just getting the new engine plumbed in etc. Out of the £6.5k minimum charge for a drive in, drive out R32 install he said about £4.5k would probably be all labour!

Arrrrgh!

Maybe I should just stick with a Corrado VR6, that works! :)

Why the hell do they advertise 12v VR6 supercharger kits, and then reccommend you don't bother with them when you phone up!

I've heard it all now!

Why the hell do they advertise 12v VR6 supercharger kits, and then reccommend you don't bother with them when you phone up!

I've heard it all now!

Because of a greater profit in R32 coversions? "Buy our ecu... come back to map it" Are Storm going the "Jabba" route?

Andy FI is the way forward for cheap "Thrills" speak to Crazydave/Kad/Cheesemeister, even Heristies is hooked despite it not all going to plan! S/C or Turbo....

If it's not enough in the end and you do go R32 route.. rip out the "Charged" VR and flog to a mk2 Golf owner for a decent wedge!

Maybe a 2nd hand charger (in good nick!) would be a good compromise!

Are there any tests that can be done on my engine that will tell me if anythings likely to go pop if I suddenly supercharged it?

The guy at Storm said he'd only Supercharger a VR6 if the engine internals had being upgraded already, although he may have being talking about 300bhp versions.

I thought the beauty of charging VR6's is that you can pretty much just nail the charger to the side of the standard engine and away you go ? :)

Right, after some thought I've got a plan!

I'm going to forget the major stuff and do the fairly easily obtainable (and affordable) 'smaller' mods/additions!

My plan is to now;

Milltek Exhaust & Sports/De-Cat

Carbonio CAI/BNC CDA

Replace My Spare Wheel (ok, don't have one at present)

Paint the engine metals matt black & generally make the bay look minty

Black Samco hoses

Sort out any little chips/scratches so it's nr mint bodywork

Audioscape pods and sub thingy in boot

Repair Worn Leather Bolster

Moonroof if I can find one

Other mods as a possibility; (ie unlikely but if opportunity/funds permit!)

Audi TT Dash (just need to figure out how much to get one fit)

Carputer

leave the engine as a standard VR6 imo, will sell easier in the future, is more original, has plenty of power as it is, already uses enough fuel up

i reckon well maintained near standard examples are going to most sought after in years to come

i reckon well maintained near standard examples are going to most sought after in years to come

:D I like that idea

Right, after some thought I've got a plan!

I'm going to forget the major stuff and do the fairly easily obtainable (and affordable) 'smaller' mods/additions!

My plan is to now;

Milltek Exhaust

Carbonio CAI

Replace My Spare Wheel (ok, don't have one at present)

Paint the engine metals matt black & generally make the bay look minty

Black Samco hoses

Sort out any little chips/scratches so it's nr mint bodywork

Audioscape pods and sub thingy in boot

Repair Worn Leather Bolster

Moonroof if I can find one

Other mods as a possibility; (ie unlikely but if opportunity/funds permit!)

Audi TT Dash (just need to figure out how much to get one fit)

Shrick Manifold & Cams

Carputer

sounds like a great plan Andy, if you could take the engine out and restore or repaint the bay then that would be a great car by the sound of it.

there is a schrick on ebay for only £700 at the moment but its OBD2, but then saying that, an OBD2 conversion would be another great subtle improvement :D

will watch for progress!

What you gotta seriously ask yourself is are you wanting to convert it in some way just because of "the scene" or do you need another 100bhp just to get to work?

Any of the later standard VR6`s are quick enough, converting it will not only detract from what it was supposed to be, an affordable GT car, and in the long run de value it, sure everyone admires something different, but you are the one who has to pay for it!!! and if you sold it later you would never recoup the outlay, thats without all the agro of remaps and problems along the way with heavy modding as it always costs a 3rd more than you think! none of these tuning company are charitys!!

For around 2k you can have a charger all fitted and running, a lot of guys on the VR6OC have this conversion and are more than happy with it, and it can always be reversed and the parts sold for virtually what you paid for them!

Personally i would rather have a well handling, mechanically sound car with some nice rims, spot on bodywork and a nice interior! if i were to consider spending 6.5k i would probably just sell the C and use all the funds to buy a 90`s Porka 911 of some sort :D but hey thats just my opinion as I like standard looking cars with a few tweeks 8)

I personally dont see the point in shrick inlet and cams myself to gain a bit of power for quite a large wedge of money when you can just spend a bit more and get a supercharger setup 2nd hand, bolt it on and away you go.

Jon mentioned mine didnt go to plan, thats true but i went rotrex which isn't a well known charger and the problems i had were only simple anyway. I have only been rebuilding my engine because i havent been using it all winter and thought i might as well whilst its off the road. When i put the charger on (at 140k!) the engine was fine and didnt go bang, although it would just be on borrowed time as my chain tensioners turned out to be fooked! But mine was high miles anyway so if you havent done as many miles you should be ok just bolting a vortech on or even a rotrex as there is enough information on them about now.

Ok, going to forget the superchargers, too much money/hassle/etc!

Also going to scrap the shrick idea as like you say, it's a lot for a few extra bhp!

One question I would like to know though is my C is a 93 (K) VR6, I've been told that the emissions for that year aren't as strict as the years that follow?

From what I gather, I have to have a CAT on but the emissions test isn't as strict as 1994?

The reason for this is I'm deciding whether to go for a Sports Cat or a De-Cat?

http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/vw%20corrado/exhausts.html

It's about £65 for the Milltek Sports Cat, worth it?

(hey I didn't create another thread! :) )

Ooops!

I was reading the cat replacement pipe!

Do you think it'd pass emissions with one removed?