Sign in to follow this  
colinstubbs

LED strips

I don'y know if anyone will be interested but this company in the States do a wide range of different colour and sized flexible waterproof 12v LED strips. Could look a bit Chav if you get carried away 'a la' website pics :shock: , but it's not compulsory!

Prices are good and the stuff arrived in 4 days.

I'm just redoing dash lighting (keeping the green - done)and sorting a boot light (in white - to do) as the original is crap and covered by sub box.

One of the small ones had a broken conductor :( , I e-mailed them the offender's photo and another one's straight in the post, that's service! 8)

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfCorrado dash etc 002 (Small).jpg[/attachment:3tez03ht]

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfCorrado dash etc 018 (Small).jpg[/attachment:3tez03ht]

Corrado dash etc 019 (Small).jpg[/attachment:3tez03ht]

The biggest ars£ was connecting them. First I tried to solder the wires to the contacts on one of the blown bulb contacts but to no avail so I ended up cuting the flexible pcb strip and choccy blocking them on - It works! I had to cut a piece of the rear casing away for space but I'd lost patience by then :lol:

End result wasn't too shabby, although after I'd pinged the speedo needle fitting everything, I had to take the speedo cover off at college to put the needle the correct side of the pin so it could move!!! :oops:

Wouldn't take me long to do it again!

might look good for illuminated needles too - if you can get a small flat led behind them. They seem plenty bright enough too.

You can usually find all kinds of things like this on sites that sell computer bits. Look for case-modding lighting sections as they'll have a whole plethora of 12v based lighting.

Nice work there chap. Do you know if you can you get the needles off the dials easily? I wouldn't mind replacing mine with backlit transparent ones.