Sign in to follow this  
bruny

Restoration project K931 RBV

:clap: That would be brill KipVR, just what I need. I'm quite happy to do them again, cant do much else with all this bloody snow :shock:

I'll get some pics this weekend pal, if I can open my bonnet again, didn't have them adjusted quite right! :roll:

I had probs opening my bonnet but i figured it might have been due to the temperature being so cold :shrug: so i hot boxed the engine bay for 30 mins then i could easily pop the bonnte open :clap: I was worried i might snap the cable

Nice work there. A mate of mine was doing stuff for his kit car and I liked the finish.

Always fancied a try but think I am better off looking at others results :)

Parts were bead blasted, finer finish than sandblasting

Thoroughly degrease before dipping in the pickle cleaner

Rinse well before hanging in the zinc plate bucket for 20 mins or so

Proper rinse in warm running water, I used the shower but dont tell the my other half!

Then dip in clear passivate for 15 seconds before dipping in yellow passivate for same time

Quick dip in a bucket of warm water and dry with the hair drier

To finnish off after hanging in a warm room for 6 hours or so I gave them a quick waxing

After 4 attempts this is the result, think the bonnet catch needs to be redone, a little too yellow [think I over did the zinc coat by leaving it in too long resulting in a rougher finish

Temperature is key to plating as you have found out, if too cold the solution can eventually crystalize. If you are only doing small quantities of parts perhaps consider using de-min water instead of tap water (if you can heat it) in something like a couple of cut off plastic containers - Swill in one then the other so they don't get too contaminated.

If you have access to one, any all metal parts (careful with plastic perhaps?) can be dried off in an oven at around 50 > 60c for 20 mins or so to ensure completely dry - Another tip is if you have an airline then "blow off" any excess water prior to drying as it is less likely to have any staining.

Excellent job so far!!

Ian.

How about using fish tank heaters to control the temp of the solutions?