Sign in to follow this  
bruny

Restoration project K931 RBV

the only advice i can possibly give on this one mate is to go and lay down in a dark room. :lol:

Nice work mate, and nice to see another pretty much standard VR6 being maintained as such. I'm all for project cars with transplanted engines but similarly totally agree that we need to keep some original cars around - they're definitely a species in decline! :)

I've not seen this thread before. Looks awesome Dave.

Just nosing through the background of the pics, and we've just picked up a cheap amazon ZAU spreader, only ever seen about 10t through it. :) Sadly the book with the spreading rates etc was destroyed. :(

Just nosing through the background of the pics, and we've just picked up a cheap amazon ZAU spreader, only ever seen about 10t through it. :) Sadly the book with the spreading rates etc was destroyed. :(

Just replaced the ZAU with a ZAM but my bro has the spreader and book down in Cirencester. Can give you rough settings for blue bag and 0 24 24 but its too costly this year to throw around willy nilly. Would recomend a call to Amazon just up the road from us, they are really helpfull for setting instructions. pm me and I'll dig out my old records and or number if you like!

Would be nice to do a special conversion, 24v or something, but I dont use this one to the limit so the extra power would be wasted on me, not a good enough driver :nono:

A standard rebuild has got to be the easiest option [i hope]

Excellent work Dave, it's nice to know there are other obsessives out there :help: Keep the piccies coming :D

Just replaced the ZAU with a ZAM but my bro has the spreader and book down in Cirencester. Can give you rough settings for blue bag and 0 24 24 but its too costly this year to throw around willy nilly. Would recomend a call to Amazon just up the road from us, they are really helpfull for setting instructions. pm me and I'll dig out my old records and or number if you like!

Would be nice to do a special conversion, 24v or something, but I dont use this one to the limit so the extra power would be wasted on me, not a good enough driver :nono:

A standard rebuild has got to be the easiest option [i hope]

:) Excellent cheers! Amazing what you can find on a website for VW Coupes! Can't believe the price of fertiliser these days! I heard that a lot of spray is difficult to get hold of because of the trouble in Gaza, and I imagine netwrap and stretch wrap will be more expensive too. Not sure what we're using at the moment. I know we've had some special stuff for a particularly deficient field, but can't for the life of me remember what the hell it needed. Don't tend to throw much on since we stopped growning Barley.

Funnily enough my sister went to the Royal Ag College in Ciren.

In for a penny , in for a pound[ or perhaps a fair bit more :shock:Engine strip right down 009.JPG[/attachment:3fkv4ebk]

In for a penny , in for a pound[ or perhaps a fair bit more :shock:

:) Good work.... If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing properly... :)

Not sure what I'll find, have to look a little closer!Engine strip right down 010.JPG[/attachment:3rgzyggd]

Crank shaft bushes seem ok. Will replace them anyway.

So far so good

Big end shells also surprisingly good, just beginning to think I needn't have gone this far!!!!!Engine strip right down 011.JPG[/attachment:2p1djgit]

Measurements still need to be taken but first impressions of the crankshaft look goodEngine strip right down 013.JPG[/attachment:1hiy6xhz]

Thats the good news, now for the bad. I'll show you the bores first, they seem pretty good I think :DEngine strip right down 016.JPG[/attachment:17matmn5]

Little sign of scoring or wear!

Theory 1 : its run hot at some time in it's life!!! So why no wear on bushes and bores???

Theory 2 : It doesn't do many miles so the bores have time to dry up between running, causing increase friction until oil starts pumping and lubricating as it should, so why

no wear on bushes and bores???

Theory 3: It is perfectly natural wear and tare on an engine with 105K miles on the clock so there is no need to panic { he says hopefully]

Discuss and feel free to comment :confused4:

Should these pistons go back in :help:Engine strip right down 015.JPG[/attachment:1y6sxcx1]

With that sort of mileage i would suspect wear of some sort in the bores,mic the bores and they will show signs of ovality and this will contribute to the wear you see on the thrust side of the piston skirts.

If you plan to keep the car for a while i would bore it out and stick some fresh pistons in there.

Don't plan on selling the car at all, but only doing low mileage annually. 10 years x 3K = 30,000

But will certainly take measurements. Not totally sure that it can be bored though being a 2.9 :shrug:

oh my god! just seen this thread..... amazing, cant say much more then this to be honest.

personaly i think that wear is normal on a engine with this many miles, as it looks like they are the thrust sides of the pisons? so your always going to get slightly more wear on that side anyway, but like mentiond if your planning on keeping it check bore wear and measure up for some new pistons? depends how much money you want to spend on it.

Are the bores marked in the corresponding positions? And other than the witness marks are the skirts actually deformed at all? There will always be some rubbing because of the v angle, but it should only be witness marks and not actually wear. If they are deformed then perhaps they were re-used and the block replaced at some point- which is perhaps why the rest of it looks to be in good nick :shrug:

There doesn't seem to be any marking on the bores on first impressions but when cleaned down tomorrow will look more closely.

Th block hasn't been touched before as far as I can see, ie. no marks on case or conrods.

Take your point on the V formation putting more thrust on one side of the pistons which would obviously show marking on the alloy before showing up on the hard faced bores, Need to take measurements to be sure :salute:

Some goodies back from the powder coaters, should keep the rust at bay for a whileEngine strip right down 006.JPG[/attachment:1fs1iv7i]

Some bright bits back from platers, its not chrome honest, still a bit shiney though018.JPG[/attachment:30cnhjo6]

The crankshaft and big end measurements are fine so just needs reshelling. Bores good too, just needs honeing. On the piston front still waiting for accurate measurements, just hope they are within tolerance because replacements are around £100 each :shock:

Update on measurements: they all read above the tolerance level, worse we could find was reading 81.994 [ pics to follow]