Sign in to follow this  
bruny

Restoration project K931 RBV

In between jobs have been cleaning the alloy up abit as wellEngine strip right down 007.JPG[/attachment:2knjuq4m]

I tried allsorts of things on the gearbox, from expensive spray on alloy cleaner which promised the earth, to bog standard oven cleaner, which frothed alot but didnt deliver.

In the end I found a brillo pad was the best option, followed with wirewool and solvol autosol. Labour intensive and sore fingers but it gets the results.

A brass wire brush on the end of a drill for the awkward bits saves the fingers a little!!

Still painting, polishing and cleaning while waiting for bits to arrive, it seems to me that the weakness of the pound against the euro is having a serious effect on parts prices, much more than when I checked a while ago :shock: Still I'm committed now

Acid etch primer on the block before primer and then satin black007.JPG[/attachment:1qyghao2]

AS mentioned earlier pistons are well within tolerance, a relief as replacements are £98 each005.JPG[/attachment:2bey8qf8]

Cost of engine parts beginning to add up, but shouldn't need touching again001.JPG[/attachment:lifoqhtb]

What do all the bits in the bottom pic do? are some of them piston rings???? :|

New rings, big and little ends, crankshaft shells, cam followers, to name a few. Will list the lot when I've done. Costs as well :shock:003.JPG[/attachment:8zy6j53f]

:lol: Dont telll Carol :nono:

Must come over for another look soon, and to look at Jim's wheels :wink:

She is the most understanding woman I know :clap:

Will be about tomorrow mate

Thanks Chris :wave:

New rings, big and little ends, crankshaft shells, cam followers, to name a few. Will list the lot when I've done. Costs as well :shock:003.JPG[/attachment:11xzh59y]

Will be good to see what the costs are in the end as this is a route I am likely to be following during the summer seeing as mine is on 153k now! Preventive maintenance and all that! Shall hopefully be able to stave off my want to stick a 3.2 in!!

What more than Jude????? wow thats dedication :luvlove: :lol:

Must come over before you go then as could do with looking at jimbo's wheels in case i buy a Nugget :ignore:

New rings, big and little ends, crankshaft shells, cam followers, to name a few. Will list the lot when I've done. Costs as well :shock:003.JPG[/attachment:3igzfnd4]

Will be good to see what the costs are in the end as this is a route I am likely to be following during the summer seeing as mine is on 153k now! Preventive maintenance and all that! Shall hopefully be able to stave off my want to stick a 3.2 in!!

Costs are beginning to mount up, depends how far you want to go though, and if you are after performance or standard 'as the factory intended'. I think there won't be many standard Vr's left soon. But keeping them on the road comes at a price :(

Hone out the cylinder, looks like an instrument of torcher :shock:rebuild 003.JPG[/attachment:2u3g1ees]

Effective though, apparently it produces a zigzag pattern on the bore which retains oilrebuild 004.JPG[/attachment:2be61cu6]

Pistons back in with new shells and ringsrebuild 015.JPG[/attachment:2a0wmtkd]

This may take some time, will not show every piston though, honest :cuckoo:

Forgot to mention rebuilt items are coated with an oil that seems to have the properties of treacle :clap:

Coming on very good, and very quickly! good work! how did you compress the rings to get the pistons back in? with a tool or just by hand?? I will be putting my block back together next week just wondered if you have any tips for installing the rings, look like they might be a pain! cheers :salute: