Sign in to follow this  
Bally

Bonnet cable **UPDATE ALL FIXED**

Can someone please help with an enquiry relating to this. I had my bonnet stuck shut and with help from this thread and the wiki managed to get it open. Then bought a new cable from someone on here but when fitting it the head came off the bolt that holds the cable in the guide. Is this part of a new bonnet cable or is it seperate. VW ordered the part that looks like it on ETKA but its just a guide and not the part that secures the cable (if any of that makes sense). Also if anyone has one they could post me for tomorrow that would be great! :o :notworthy:

just got back from collecting cable.

i ordered part no: 536823531 - CABLE

here is what you get

DSC00657.jpg

DSC00656.jpg

DSC00658.jpg

£23.79 + vat

it doesn't have the bit i need, the ekta was very confusing, seemed to have the bits for a LHD corrado and the bits were in the wrong place, but ordered

535823555 Nipple - £4.27 + vat

N0102631 Screw - £0.08 + vat

which i hope is the bit for the other end of cable, where you adjust it, was shown in the wrong place but looked like the right part

the bit was correct

are you talking about the bit at the top left hand side of the picture above?

thats what i mean too the little cone shaped thing with a grub screw to hold the cable and allow for adjustment

Yep it does look like a LHD car on etka. They've given me the nipple at 4.73 and that is the screw that goes in but not the other part number. It seems cheap at 8p for what it is? I'll give the other dealers near me a ring tomorrow and see what they say.

Right after looking at ETKA with a mate it appears I have part number N010263 in a bag marked with part number 535823555. So not only have they given me the wrong part but they have charged £4.73 for an 8 pence part. Will be on the phone in the morning. Cheers for your help again guys.

i read this the other day and thought thats never gonna happen to me..... well guess what today it did and thank god for this info.

:lol:

i read this too and thought i'm glad i renewed mine before it broke, then just last week the new one broke and i had to smash grill up to get it open :lol:

:lol:

i read this too and thought i'm glad i renewed mine before it broke, then just last week the new one broke and i had to smash grill up to get it open :lol:

After replacing mine two years ago, it stopped working again recently.

I think they must stretch after a while, I just tightened it up again on the passenger side, which is not as easy as it sounds and it seems to be working ok, hopefully it's not planning on snapping any time soon!

i found the 1st time around i must not of fitted mine properly, and then it stopped working. this time round i'm sure i've got it going through all the correct holes etc

put a new cable on my car about 4 weeks ago and have never got it working right :? it lifts up on the drivers side but it wont lift up on the passengers side :censored: it was soooooo long ago when i took the old one off i cant remember 100% how it attached, so is this correct?? and should the wire be tight or loosish.

cheers

karl

bonnetcable.jpg

its where it passes behind the end of the rad (the bit you can't really see) that i went wrong, there's a hole for it to pass through in some metal, but its really easy to miss this,. In fact looking at your photo, should the metal wire pass through that slot where its touching the metal?

the wire should be tight-ish, the same tension you have on the drivers side. and im wondering how you get into the bonnet if only one side works. now im not sure about this because i dont own a corrado anymore but i think the nipple needs to be on the other side of that metal as it needs to pull the catch open, if that is that catch itself. otherwise the nipple really isnt doing anything at all

i reversed my nipple and it seemed to work better.

i think the trick is the cable shouldn't rub or touch anything on its route

put a new cable on my car about 4 weeks ago and have never got it working right :? it lifts up on the drivers side but it wont lift up on the passengers side :censored: it was soooooo long ago when i took the old one off i cant remember 100% how it attached, so is this correct?? and should the wire be tight or loosish.

cheers

karl

bonnetcable.jpg

You need to have no slack in the cable at all.