Sign in to follow this  
pete_griff

Car dipping!

i've heard good things about these people who have a car dipping process - both in magazines and through word of mouth.

basically you take them your body shell and all panels (doors, bonnet, boot, wings etc) and they dip them in this chemical stuff which removes paint, filler, sound deadening, RUST - everything and just leaves you with the bare metal shell - pretty impressive stuff.

i am seriously thinking about getting this done to my rado when i get back into the country in 6 months time - they also do a very good protective coating so the car will basically never rust again once you've got underseal/paint on it!

the whole process including the protection will cost circa 1750 notes, then i can get it sprayed etc pretty cheap as i know some people...

i was just wondering exactly what you guys knew about them/what experiences you have had - any input would be very welcome

here's the site by the way - http://www.surfaceprocessing.co.uk/

cheers again gents

If that's 1750 for the whole car including removable panels, does sound like quite the deal. As you said it's basically rust-proofing the entire car.

From the chemical side of things, it looks like they use a mixture of acid and alkalis to agitate all the nasty stuff off the panels. Clever stuff!

Stage 4.

An advanced agitated alkaline neutralisation and passivation immersion process designed to give maximum penetration leaves the component or shell in a bright, preserved condition. This is then followed with a high pressure manual wash containing a neutralising preservative which drives preservative into the folds, seams and recesses of the component or shell and will cause the water to evaporate quickly leaving a dry, bright and stable mild steel finish.

Sounds like they effectively Wax-Oyl (for want of a better word) the car when it's done then.

If i had the space time and money to do the bare metal resto that I've always wanted to do, I would seriously consider this. You might want to talk to them about your specific application. For example, if they do mainly older cars, the paint on your car will have a different chemical composition, although they will more than likely have this under control.

interesting find,much better than blasting,bit costly but its worth it if its a ground up rest on a vintage car...but on a raddo? just buy a better one?

They are getting a bit thin on the ground these days though...

:lol:

Stage 4.

An advanced agitated alkaline neutralisation and passivation immersion process designed to give maximum penetration leaves the component or shell in a bright, preserved condition. This is then followed with a high pressure manual wash containing a neutralising preservative which drives preservative into the folds, seams and recesses of the component or shell and will cause the water to evaporate quickly leaving a dry, bright and stable mild steel finish.

Sounds like they effectively Wax-Oyl (for want of a better word) the car when it's done then.

Its passivation so will most likely be bright zinc passivate, so basically like galvanising the whole car which would be pretty nice.

I have seen split screen camper vans litterally fall apart once they have been dipped in the acid and alkali tanks, as the owners didnt realise they had so much filler in them :lol:

i have also heard owners asking where the door handles from the camper are, assuming that the dippers had removed them, its quite funny when the dippers tell them that the handles would have completely dissolved as they are chrome plated alloy :lol:

they did this on camper van crisis on discovery and that one came out looking like swiss cheese there where so many holes in it.

its far cheaper and less time consuming to buy a decent raddo and there is lots out there.

i totally agree with that - however in all fairness you would strugle to find many rados out there now which have less rust than mine.

as yandards says, there aren't many solid ones out there now and eventually every single one will be properly rusting away - mine has rust spots that you can't see, as i'm sure everyone's does .

the point is that if left, then the rust will only get worse and worse and will leave pitting etc which will require more work than would have been required if it was treated early, which is why i'm thinking about it now.

i was thinking the other day exactly what i could replace the corrado with (last car was an impreza wr1) and i really honestly can't think of anything that i would rather have - i absolutely love the rado, and i can see myself hanging onto it for ages. even if i do get like another impreza/evo - they are ridiculous to run every day and it would just go in the garage for the weekends.

so, as i love the car as a daily driver so much, i really do see myself keeping it for a very long time, which would proabbly make the process worthwhile.

with the protective coating they do (e-coat), they dip it in another chemical (i think from what i read), and it puts a very thin protective layer everywhere (nowhere is missed as it's dipped) that will resist salt spray for 1000 hrs - which basically means that once it's undersealed/sprayed it will never ever rust again unless you decide to re-arrange it with a tree/wall etc

still unsure as it's a fair bit of work and not cheap (but pretty good value nonetheless when you think about it), but the end product........

hmmm - tricky one

If they do every single panel (i.e. doors with no trim or glass in, front wings, bonnets, tailgate, spoiler) then I think it'd be worth it... but only if you're planniny to keep for a very long time.

I wonder if they can recommend a resprayer afterwards? Bare-metal respray would be so awesome, and you could trailer home a next to new corrado!

:clap:

Ooooh, you could get them to do:

wishbones,

subframe,

ARB,

rear axle...

the list goes on! :lol:

i know!

i would get them to do the subframe and rear axle despite the fact i've recently had them off and sprayed them.

as for the wishbones - they are readily available and being as i've sprayed mine recently i can't be arsed with getting new bushes AGAIN just yet - but we'll see - it's going to be a while before anything happens yet - but i am soooooo tempted.

i'm lucky enough to know some guys in a bodyshop - so i could get the whole thing filled/painted properly in an oven etc etc after it's been treated for less than £1k :)

i'm lucky enough to know some guys in a bodyshop - so i could get the whole thing filled/painted properly in an oven etc etc after it's been treated for less than £1k :)

Peeteeeyyyy, old buddy, old pall..... :notworthy: :clap: :salute:

haha - where abouts are you my friend - i can't really ask for the mates rates that i get very often as it's taking the piss - however if you are anywhere near hereford then i can put you onto them and you should get a better rate than normal...

this is the thing though - thats £3k straight away, before i even think about buying all the bits for my r32 conversion that i WILL do!

i will be running an r32 on dta standalone and i want o rebuild the engine before it goes in, so new cams, chains, guides, bearings, clutch, lightened flywheel, new KW V3's etc etc

it's gonna cost me an absolute mint :(

that however does not mean that i won't go ahead with it - but it's alot of money to spend on a car that still only sells for around £4-5k tops now...

I'm in ox, so miles away plus I won't have the £££ anytime soon!

That's good that you're hooked up though, must be awesome getting mates rates on stuff like that!

the tiny spot of rust that i had on my a-pillar i got done for the price of a set of wiper blades and two alloy tax disk holders! - gotta love that :D

Whats the point of doing this on a corrado? Theres loads of them available and they are cheap!

I understand on a rusty splitscreen camper thats pretty rare and will be worth over £10k afterwards. Going to that effort on a corrado thats probs worth £5k at the most afterwards is madness!

Dip/respray then theres the £1000's for all the other bits you need to buy to do the work justice!

haha - where abouts are you my friend - i can't really ask for the mates rates that i get very often as it's taking the piss - however if you are anywhere near hereford then i can put you onto them and you should get a better rate than normal...[/quote:1snbjvlx]

Any chance you could let me know the details of these guys please Pete? I've been living with stone chipped and patchy paint for far too long! :( Cheers

its far cheaper and less time consuming to buy a decent raddo and there is lots out there.

there aren't many solid ones out there now and eventually every single one will be properly rusting away - mine has rust spots that you can't see, as i'm sure everyone's does .

[/quote:20cosjjw]

Mines not rusty, its very shiney though :grin:

haha - where abouts are you my friend - i can't really ask for the mates rates that i get very often as it's taking the piss - however if you are anywhere near hereford then i can put you onto them and you should get a better rate than normal...

Any chance you could let me know the details of these guys please Pete? I've been living with stone chipped and patchy paint for far too long! :( Cheers[/quote:2gr9phhe]

no worries mate - but i'll PM you - don't want too take the pi$$ by sending evryone on the forum to my friend!

It's overkill Pete, the corrado is so well protected compared with the average 'classic car'. they weren't built to a bugdet as such. or with a life expectancy built in. But if money is no object then why not , it will live forever :D :D

Mine is a 1992 Vr6 and I have found so little rust under the factory protection it wouldn't warrant the expense of having it done. having said that I understand the obsession that drives you to want the best Corrado out there.

An everlasting Corrado with an R32 motor :notworthy:

personally, there will always be people with better corrados / golfs / whatevers than me, I wouldn't be doing it to be the best, or be "scene" or anything as ludicrous (imho) as that.

I like the corrado a lot, and I don't want it to meet a premature end... this could be the first car that I actually RENEW insurance on (i.e. keep for more than a year :shock: :shock: :shock: )

yeah but as long as any rust areas or damage are treated properly and repaired if needed, once it is painted and well maintained and regularly polished and waxed its pretty much protected from the elements for a long time to come.

I think the cost compared to the benefit far out weigh the end result if you had it dipped, unless its gonna be a total original floor up nut and bolt restoration and kept in conditioned storage and only driven to shows? then its a waste of time imo, its just not worth it, my G60 is 17 years old and although the paint was not perfect when i got there was no rust anywhere i could see

Just get a nice rado with some subtle mods and nice paint and use it for what it was meant for :wave:

Have to echo the other comments about not seeming worth it...

Especially when you factor the additional cost of taking the car apart to get the body, respraying it, and rebuilding it afterwards.... (none of which I suspect will be accounted for in the £1750 quote)

Surely you'd take it apart yourself, or am I just TOO MUCH of an enthusiast? I'm pretty sure you just trailer them the shell and then they dip it and you trailer it home, doesn't look like a garage / restoration business to me, purely a chemical dipping plant. Ideal if you're doing a ground-up resto, not so great if you're wanting to remove a little rust on a saturday afternoon...

Yeah, it is a moot point considering the Corrado has been at least partly galvanised but good to know that these things are being done at reasonable prices!

Plus the video has 80s music on.