Jim Bowen

Headlights playing up

just got car back from service and they pointed out that the headlights aren't right, not sure if this is to do with recent melting of headlight switch, but heres the problem.

side lights, all work

dipped beam, all work

but when you put them onto full beam, the drivers side dipped beam goes out and the main doesn't come on, yet on the passenger side it works as it should, main beam comes on and dipped stays on with it

Sounds like an earthing problem to me, I had a similar thing on mine and the guy who did the MOT fixed it for me.... think he just ran a short piece of wire from the headlamp connector to the body so it earthed properly.

If you like I'll investigate it a bit further on my car over the weekend.... as long as it's not raining.

if you could that would be fab

where are the earths for lights?

the bulb is deffo fine, could it be a relay?

I had to disconnect my uprated loom as one of the fuses kept blowing and I was worried as one time one of the relays melted and I don't fancy an engine fire, especially as I am still struggling to get my bonnet to open. It's one thing after the next with my 'rado lately, all part of the fun of owning an older car I guess.

I've had this before and can't for the life of me think how I fixed it. Something in my head is telling me fuse, but can't say for certain. I know it wasn't anythnig difficult tho. I'll have a good think and see...

If you have an uprated wiring loom then i would have a look at the relays, the relays hate moisture so if they can get wet where they are then I would replace them to see if that solves the issue. If in doubt you can take the plastic casing of them and check for water damage.

I had a new headlight switch a while ago.

I've taken the uprated loom off for now until I can get this issue sorted. Everything works as it should with the uprated loom apart from the fuse blowing every time I switch to main beam. A quick fix is to put a higher rated fuse in but that cause the relay's to potentially melt.

I'm sure I've had this issue before too, I need to have a good look at it at the weekend.